What if you don't have a keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Just something I've been wondering, but how many folks out there keg and don't have a keezer? I've been thinking about switching to kegs, but I don't have an extra fridge. How do you keep your brew cold? I life in Southern California, so keeping the keg outdoors or in the garage isn't going to cool it much.

I started with kegging out of the gates, but luckily I had an extra fridge. I have bottled but kegging is sooo much easier. I suggest lookin around on craigslist for moving sales for a fridge, can find em really cheap. I am actually looking at chest freezers and planning on making a 'keezer' just because my carboys don't fit in my fridge very well so I can't really make any lagers. I have found some chest freezers on craigslist for like $150 or so, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

Heh. I can back up that the jockey boxes are gtg. Interesting concept and would be great, but SWMBO would probably kill me if I put another cooler in the guest bathroom...

I have never used one, but they definately look like they work. But for the price to buy or even build one, you could probably find a cheap fridge. Plus with a temp controller, you could lager in that thing too.

SWMBO --- hahaha... if you haven't seen it already... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/swmbo-139326/

But for the price to buy or even build one, you could probably find a cheap fridge. Plus with a temp controller, you could lager in that thing too.

Yeah, that is my thought, too. Man, I justified this hobby as cutting down my beer costs. Good thing the wife has enjoyed my first few batches.

Brewing to save money only works if you don't look at equipment costs, because you'll always be buying new toys :)

If you want to keg, you need a way to chill it. The end. Depending on where you are and the time of year, sitting in the basement may be fine, but a fridge/freezer is generally one of the costs involved in kegging.

Back