drilling through the wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpabian

Reaction score
I have a Haier wine cooler that we really don't use anymore, so I was thinking that it might make a good kegerator for my corny and mini-kegs. But there is no way I could fit my CO2 tank in there so it will have to live outside.

I looked at as many pics as I could and I was curious what you all are doing for this? Are you drilling through the wall and just pushing the hose through or are you using some handy connector?

What do you guys recommend and can you point me to any good resources or sellers? I looked at the plumbing section at Home Depot and I didn't see anything that looked like it would work.

Thanks!

i just drilled slighty smaller then the CO2 tube and pulled it through. It was a pretty snug fit but I dabbed some great stuff on both sides.

Will that thing get cold enough? My wine coolers only get down to just below 50. Maybe 48. They are the thermoelectric ones though.

I ran a 1/4" by whatever brass nipple through with a flare > corny post adapter > corny post on the outside and a 90 degree angle barb fitting on the inside, grommet on the outside skin and a rubber spacing washer on the inside. Works well.

Ahhhh...A Lagering vessel out of a wine chiller...NICE...

I do use one as a lager fermentation chamber since it holds 50 degrees perfectly. Not nearly cold enough for lagering though. It would need to chill about 15 - 17 degrees more than it can to do that.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know I can set the temp lower, but not sure how low. Plan B is to use the smaller fridge we have in the garage, but it isn't as nice looking as the wine cooler, (it's got a glass door with a purple tinted light). My Co2 tank is 10lbs so it's huge!

I hear what you're saying. My wine coolers are very nice looking with their smoked glass. I have one in my dining room now because it so inoffensive.

I also wondered whether you can jump the wine cooler thermostat so that it runs constantly until the circuit is closed by the external t-stat. Is yours compressor based or thermoelectric like mine?

I have a Haier fridge in my basement that I use as a fermentation chamber and it is thermoelectric.

I think it's thermoelectric since it's so quiet. I did just did a dry fit and it will just barely hold my corny keg and two mini-kegs, but you are right; I'm not sure if it will get cold enough.

I don't think I could use it as a fermentation chamber, since the bottom is shaped for a drawer, so my bucket or carboy won't fit.

Hmm, still need to noodle over this.

I think it's thermoelectric since it's so quiet. I did just did a dry fit and it will just barely hold my corny keg and two mini-kegs, but you are right; I'm not sure if it will get cold enough.

I don't think I could use it as a fermentation chamber, since the bottom is shaped for a drawer, so my bucket or carboy won't fit.

Hmm, still need to noodle over this.

Maybe someone could weigh in here on whether the thermoelectric temp controllers can be bypassed to drive a lower than intended temp inside.

Maybe someone could weigh in here on whether the thermoelectric temp controllers can be bypassed to drive a lower than intended temp inside.

I'm sure you could bypass the controller but I don't know if the peltier device can hold that much of a temperature gradient change or how long it would take to cool a room-temp keg if it can. They don't pull nearly as much heat as a compressor system does.

Latest posts

Back