Apfelwein suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
Hi everyone

just bottled my first batch of Edworts apfelwein last weekend.

5 gal 100% apple juice
1 Kg dextrose
Safale S-04 ale yeast

SG 1.058
FG 0.998

bottle primed with 2 tsp table sugar per 750ml bottle.

when i tasted it at bottling it was very dry. i realise that letting it ferment down to 998 should leave it quite dry, but will it stay like this even after aging?

i want to make another batch asap as im off work due to a dislocated shoulder. So..... if i wanted to try and make the next batch less dry and a little sweeter what would be the best way to go about it?

Add some unfermentable sugars? Stop fermentation around 1.010 or above?

or could i try both of these?

any help appreciated

Cheers

Woody :mug:

my first batch is just a little over the one month mark in the bottle. It is just now starting to show some signs of carbonation.

Hi everyone

just bottled my first batch of Edworts apfelwein last weekend.

5 gal 100% apple juice
1 Kg dextrose
Safale S-04 ale yeast

SG 1.058
FG 0.998

bottle primed with 2 tsp table sugar per 750ml bottle.

when i tasted it at bottling it was very dry. i realise that letting it ferment down to 998 should leave it quite dry, but will it stay like this even after aging?

i want to make another batch asap as im off work due to a dislocated shoulder. So..... if i wanted to try and make the next batch less dry and a little sweeter what would be the best way to go about it?

Add some unfermentable sugars? Stop fermentation around 1.010 or above?

or could i try both of these?

any help appreciated

Cheers

Woody :mug:

Try making some graff.

Back