help with oktoberfest needed quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnie7781

Reaction score
Was supposed to do a 90 minute boil with 60 minute hop addition, but i got distracted and threw the hops in at 90 minutes. Stick with 90 minute boil, shorten to 60? Thoughts?

I am interested to see other answers, but I would boil 90, and follow the rest of the hop schedule on time.

There will be some change in the utilization, but I don't know exactly what or how much. I suspect it will increase your bitterness somewhat, but that's it. I suppose it's possible that there is a curve regarding hop utilization being reduced after too much time boiling, but I would think it's well beyond an extra 30 minutes....

I'd shorten the boil to 60 minutes, probably. It depends on why you're doing a 90 minute boil, of course, but most of the time a 90 minute boil isn't necessary.

recipe advised for reduction in dms

Must be a lot of pilsner malt? I don't know otherwise why you'd want to do a 90 minute boil.

If you're married to the idea of a 90 minute boil, go ahead. You'll only get slightly more IBUs in a 90 minute boil vs a 60 minute boil anyway, so no worries. The only disadvantage to a longer boil is using more fuel.

33% Pilsner. Probably sticking with the 90 minute, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make the worlds most bitter oktoberfest. 1.5 ounces of hallertau 4%.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I dont know the exact figures, at work, but i think a 60 min boil is 30-32% utilization. 90 min is around 40% so it probably wont make that much of a difference

Back