Yeungling's "Black and Tan" - How would you make this ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I really like this beer, anyone have a good clone recipe ?

Or how would you go about making it ? I was thinking of picking a well recommended porter recipe and combining it with a premium lager recipe that I really like.

Any ideas ?

PseudoChef said:
I have always been perplexed as to how a black and tan could be bottled.

It's just a light colored ale and a stout mixed together. You can do it in a number of ways, from blending two finished beers to fermenting two worts together.

Create EdWort's house pale in one fermenter.
Create a Dry Stout or non-Brown Porter recipe in another.

Sample and blend at bottling time.

Your better off blending a porter, and beer together.
I think their blend is 60-40 (porter-beer)

You'll also need some corn and lager yeast.

I found that Austin Homebrew Supply has a Yeungling's Porter clone kit, I think I will order a couple of those - one for the Black and Tan and another just to see what the porter is like.

You guys think that EdWort's house pale ale would be a good choice for the other beer ? I was thinking of making a Munton's Premium Lager kit that I really liked last time... What would be a good choice for the other beer ?

I've read that Yeungling's B&T is just the lager and the porter in a 60/40 mix. That said, that would be easy to do by mixing two finished beers together.

But....I ask, why not just make black & tans the old fashioned way by mixing two beers together per serving instead of mixing them in a keg or carboy?

Dude said:
I've read that Yeungling's B&T is just the lager and the porter in a 60/40 mix. That said, that would be easy to do by mixing two finished beers together.

But....I ask, why not just make black & tans the old fashioned way by mixing two beers together per serving instead of mixing them in a keg or carboy?

If I had kept all of my Mississippi Mud black & tan bottles, I'd have a better answer.

Currently in my kegerator is one keg of EdWort's haus pale, and one keg of dry stout. I'm very much enjoying black and tans made with the two, and as soon as I tried a few I started thinking about maybe doing a double brew day and then blending them right in the kegs in a future batch - though keeping them as separate batches is still very appealing as well. :mug:

Funkenjäger said:
Currently in my kegerator is one keg of EdWort's haus pale, and one keg of dry stout. I'm very much enjoying black and tans made with the two, and as soon as I tried a few I started thinking about maybe doing a double brew day and then blending them right in the kegs in a future batch - though keeping them as separate batches is still very appealing as well. :mug:
If you can serve em fresh and get the visual effect as well...why not?

BlackTan4.JPG

BierMuncher said:
If you can serve em fresh and get the visual effect as well...why not?
Yeah, well, wouldn't you know it, after plenty of experience making black and tans from bottled/canned stout, and having them come out perfect every time, the first time I tried making one from the faucet with my own stout it was a total failure, so obviously I've got some learning to do :cross:

Dude said:

cause I don't want to mess with all that just to be snooty and have two layers of beer in one glass, all I care about is making it taste like Yeungling's Black and Tan

I'm just going to brew two beers and bottle em together

i know missippi mudd is a porter-pilsner blend. try it and get back to me i love these.

Now, what might be cool is to make a beer and have it come out with that flavor instead of mixing. Maybe a swartz beer with ale yeast?

These beer are very different. They are a classic black and tan....with lager yeast the whole way thru.
Honestly...it's probably cheaper to buym, then brew. If you are strictly into nailing it's taste, then go for it.
Consider the lagering time.

Beerrific said:
Now, what might be cool is to make a beer and have it come out with that flavor instead of mixing.

Thats kind of what I was thinking at first, but then I found there was a clone kit for the Yuengling's Porter, and mixing it seems easier.

And Glibbidy, yeah you're right it would be cheaper to buy it. Its only $9.67 for a 12 pack at WalMart today. Thats pretty hard to beat. But I'm not brewing it to save money, I just want to see if I can make it.

Bobby_M said:
The cool thing about the real black and tan pour is that it also leaves two individual beers available. I don't get the mixing in the bottle.

Well I just don't think having 2 layers of beer is such a cool thing. Well maybe its cool to order it in a bar or something, but thats not my concern at all.

I want to drink it and it taste good, thats basically it.

Yeungling's makes a beer called "Black and Tan". Now is it a real authentic "Black and Tan" ? No. Do I care that its not layered in two layers ? No.

I just want to drink it.

Understand ?

Hmmmmmm... I think I still have a few bottles of my stout and porter sitting around. I'm going to have to give this a shot this evening while I'm bottling up a couple of batches.

I've never even tried one. :fro:

Mutilated1 said:
…

Yeungling's makes a beer called "Black and Tan". Now is it a real authentic "Black and Tan" ? No. Do I care that its not layered in two layers ? No.

I just want to drink it.

Understand ?

Easy big guy…. ;)

Ya know there’s never a shortage of opinions around here on any subject. :D The problem is, that if you do it right, you’re going to brew two separate recipes and blend at packaging time. We’re just suggesting that if yo go to that trouble, have two separate beers on hand and serve a black and tan.

According the Yeungling web site:

Original Black & Tan
We proudly feature this traditional English 18th century blend of porter and beer, historically referred to as "Half & Half" or "Black & Tan." A dark brew, smooth and mellow, with a faint caramel flavor that comes from the deep roasted malts. You'll delight as the tawny froth crests perilously over the rim of your glass, while the light body offers an easy and satisfying drink.

I had the same issue with cloning New Castle. It truly is two separately brewed beers, blended at packaging time.

If you have access to some brewing software, find a good Porter recipe and scale it back to 2.5 gallons and brew it. Then find a lightly hopped pale ale and scale it back to 2.5 gallons and brew that.

Then, at bottling time, blend and bottle.

Now…one shortcut? Take the ingredients for each of the 2.5 gallon batches and blend them into one five-gallon recipe.

That’s what I ended up doing with the NewCastle and it was pretty darn spot-on.

BierMuncher said:
Now…one shortcut? Take the ingredients for each of the 2.5 gallon batches and blend them into one five-gallon recipe.

That’s what I ended up doing with the NewCastle and it was pretty darn spot-on.

It would be interesting to do them separately, and then another batch at the same time. My guess is a single batch would not be what you are looking for. You'd essentially be making a completly different style.

I dunno how it would work if you made a single batch and put both yeasts into the same fermentation. Sounds like a fun experiment though.

Another thing to consider....

I have read in the past (and it's in wiki, but that doesn't mean it's true) that Lord Chesterfield is the only brew that uses Ale yeast and everything else uses lager yeast.

brewt00l said:
It's likely a lager in the Yueng version...

yeah I'm pretty sure it is, it tastes to me like their Lager beer and I've already got a recipe that turns out like that

I'm going to brew the Lager, and the AHBS clone of the porter and then take 1/3 of the Lager and 1/3 of the porter and mix em when I bottle so that way I have 3 (2/3) batches.

For one thing I kind of want to try the porter by itself cause they don't sell it around here, and I guess I can even take a bottle of each and pour an authentic B&T sometime if I feel like it.

Mostly I just want to have some of the beer cause I really like it, and I think my brother would probably like it too - so I want to serve him some when he visits in a couple months and let him know I made it.

Mutilated1 said:
For one thing I kind of want to try the porter by itself cause they don't sell it around here, and I guess I can even take a bottle of each and pour an authentic B&T sometime if I feel like it.

I give them props for producing the porter all these years....however, IMHO it is kinda weaksauce.

If you want a good domestic porter, try Summit's Great Northern Porter.

Yeah around where I live, there isn't much selection. I've been shopping for new beers several times in the last couple of months and I've never seen anything with the word "Porter" on the label. The only place I know of where you can get a porter around Alabama where I live is "Taco Mac" - they have over 200 beers on tap! Fascinating place.

My brother in law's brother works at the brewery and I always end up with a couple cases now and then. The porter is probably my least favorite because it really is too smooth and small. I'm pretty sure it is lagered.

Back