Split the boil or top off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a double/imperial ipa based off of a Firestone Walker Double Jack recipe I saw. Its going to be about a 2.3 to 2.5 gal recipe going into a MR Beer keg that I use for small batches.

I'm doing a partial mash, about 6.5 pounds of grain and a pound of DME. I follow DeathBrewer's guide to stove top grain brewing. My issue is when I brew at my apartment, I'm stuck on a crappy ceramic top electric stove. I can't get a rolling boil with any more than 2 to 2.5 gallons. So my question is, being a mostly grain batch with a bit on DME, would I be better off trying to split the wort and hops between pots to boil it or would adding a gallon of top off water just be easier. If it matters, the beer's og should be 1.095, and I'm shooting for about 98 IBUs.

Use a calc to determine how you boil with less water will impact you IBUs. Your gravity should be higher to account for the top off water.

Use a calc to determine how you boil with less water will impact you IBUs. Your gravity should be higher to account for the top off water.

I use hopville, so I can factor in the top off water on there. I'm thinking topping off might be less hassle than trying to split the ingredients, I was just wondering if that could mess anything up since this is mostly grain.

OK, so after searching through some similar threads on here, it seems that topping off this mostly grain batch shouldn't negatively impact the brew. I upped my hop bill a bit to compensate, so hopefully brew day tomorrow goes smoothly!

OK, so after searching through some similar threads on here, it seems that topping off this mostly grain batch shouldn't negatively impact the brew. I upped my hop bill a bit to compensate, so hopefully brew day tomorrow goes smoothly!

Good luck. Hope it works out as expected. Brew day tomorrow for me too. Yay!! Wife and kids gone for the weekend. :)

Back