Bucket lid thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
I've got the thermowell tube, I've got the Ranco temp controller & fridge. Now I'd like to get that sensor into the bucket fermenter. I'm assuming a second hole in the lid would be the way to go. Anybody put a thermowell in a bucket? Morebeer sel

Mo

I tried recently and ended up cracking my lid. i don't think my hole was perfectly round and I think a gasket would help if you can find one. Don't try to force it too much.

I use a #2 drilled rubber stopper on the thermowell. Put the bucket lid on a piece of wood and use a spade bit to drill the appropriate size hole.

In just did this the other day. I made a thermowell out of a chrome toilet supply line (there's a thread on here about it, very easy). I drilled a hole in my bucket lid with a dremel. I then got a rubbber grommet that fit really snug around the top of my thermowell. I put the grommet in my new hole in the lid and then slid the thermowell through the grommet. Works great. The grommet size I used is just slightly larger than the one that comes with the bucket. I don't know what size hole I drilled because I just free-handed it, but it was bigger than the bucket airlock hole by at least 1/8" in diameter.

In just did this the other day. I made a thermowell out of a chrome toilet supply line (there's a thread on here about it, very easy). I drilled a hole in my bucket lid with a dremel. I then got a rubbber grommet that fit really snug around the top of my thermowell. I put the grommet in my new hole in the lid and then slid the thermowell through the grommet. Works great. The grommet size I used is just slightly larger than the one that comes with the bucket. I don't know what size hole I drilled because I just free-handed it, but it was bigger than the bucket airlock hole by at least 1/8" in diameter.

My chrome toilet supply line came with a rubber grommet already on it around the flared neck. Made it really easy to get sealed up. That said i just threw a bit of jb weld underneath where the grommet sits in and on the bucket for that extra reassurance.

Like this
042805013441lg.jpg

Latest posts

Back