Late Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McClellandBrew

Reaction score
Just brewed an American IPA last week. Should be finishing up in the primary today or tomorrow. Planning to dry hop but am wondering (after some research on preferences) what would be better.
Dry hop for 10 or so days in Secondary, then keg... Or
Ferment in Secondary for 5 days, then dry hop for last 5 days?

Is the latter more appropriate for a solid fresh hop aroma?
Any experience with both of these options?

Thanks for the advice

it's probably just a wording thing, but your beer shouldn't be fermenting in secondary. before transfering from primary, make sure fermentation is complete (stable gravity reading over 3 days).

if i understand correctly, you are looking on information/recommendation on dry-hopping 5 days vs. 10 days. 5 days should be plenty. i read somewhere (can't remember where) that hop aroma peaks 3 to 5 days into a dry-hop.

Sorry. Yes, not "fermenting" in secondary. Fermentation has met attenuation. I always transfer to secondary after fermentation is complete
But yes 5 vs. 10 days.
I've done 10 days on two different batches in the past and haven't noticed that much hop aroma. This is why I'm wondering 5 days would be better.
Thanks

some people claim that after 7 days, hops can start to impart a "grassy" aroma to the beer. others claim this is a false boogeyman. i've never dry-hopped for more than 7 days so i don't have any experience with this.

You could keg-hop. I've heard wonderful things about doing it that way instead of dry-hopping at room temps. Wonderful sounding enough to make wish I had a keg. Sigh.

I usually rack with the hops and do a week in secondary then bottle. Doesn't really your question well but I guess I take the middle road. There's some beers out there that get dryhopped 10 days with this then 5 days with that, etc which makes me wonder about the 'grassy' flavors after extended time on the hops. My best idea is to split the batch and try both and then let me know what you find as Id be curious.:D

Back