Smoked IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exhumedatbirth

Reaction score
I'm working on a IPA recipe, and was thinking about giving a bit of smoked flavor. I was thinking about smoked malt, now the smoked beers I've had taste like a vile mixture of beef jerkey, and bacon...just way to much smoke!! Does anybody have any ideas on how much smoked malt would give a five gallon batch a noticable, but not overpowering smoke flavor?

I use about 1.2 lb. of peated malt in a stout I make and it has just a hint of smokey flavor. You might try a little less to start with and kick it up if it isn't enough.

bob

Personally for an IPA I would not use the peated malt, it has too harsh of a flavor for this style IMO. I think it is Briess that has a cherry smoked malt and I think 8oz in a 5 gallon batch would be a good starting point.

I highly recommend 20% Breiss smoked malt. I recently used 2 lbs (20%) in a munich lager and it came out perfect. Some folks could barely detect the smoke. I compared it to Schlenkerla Maerzen and it was a similar level, and mine even mellowed some more after that.

However, the hops would mask some smoke flavor I would think. So 20% may even be a bit low.

Here's another vote for the Briess cherrywood-smoked malt, it's very mellow and tasty. Something like 5-10% in the grain bill should be good for starters.

Back