Adding Bourbon to kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
Quick question. If I where to add bourbon to some kegged and carbonated beer for flavoring will it eventually separate from the beer because of the difference in the gravity?

Thanks

No, it will work fine. I do it with a bourbon oaked amber and it works great. I soak 1oz toasted oak chips in 4-5oz bourbon on brew day and let it sit till the beer is kegged. I add the oak chips in a bag and dump the now nearly black bourbon in and it tastes great after a week. I let it sit the week for the oak flavors and to carbonate, if you are just adding whiskey, I'm not sure if you would need a little time for the "flavors to meld."

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do a taste test everyday just to see if in the future it needs time to mellow. I know when I add it to 16 oz of beer when trying to figure out my ratio needed for 5 gallons, the taste it there as soon as you drink it. With that being said, I have never tried waiting an hour or so to see if it's even better..

Back