Best place to position heating element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I have a 42 qt polarware brew pot with ball valve and thermometer, sight glass combo. I also have the false bottom that comes with it. I currently use it as a brew pot on the stove. My stove is almost able to boil a full 7 gallons (with all the reflex and tricks added). I would like to put in a 1500W element to get a nice easy boil but I am not sure if it would be better to put it under the flase bottom or above it. Once I move into a house, I will be using a keg as a brew pot and this as a mash tun. As far as the boil kettle goes I believe it should be fine above it. However, when it gets converted to a mash tun is it better to go under or over the false bottom. The element will be a ultra low denisity one, but putting in under the flase bottom will require a heck of alot of planning and testing.

I wouldn't put a heating element directly in my mash tun, personally.

However if I were going to position it somewhere it would be under the false bottom in either case.

forgot to mention that if I did put it under the false bottom it would be challenging to get a dip tub to pick up from the middle. Is that a problem?

I have an electric element in my mash tun. It is under a false bottom. It works fine for maintaining mash temps but it is pretty slow to ramp up the temp. It is a 1650 watt Ultra Low density element. I have only brewed with it twice and it works great. I have had other issues that were more related to my being inexperienced at all grain. Measuring the strike water is something to keep in mind since there is a lot of room under the false bottom.

Back