Made "Pulled Pork"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I threw some "coutnry ribs" in the crock pot on Friday morning, and by lunch, when I went to check it, I could mash the meat with a fork.

I had cooked it for a lady at work who's father passed away. I was worried it would be too soft, but she brought back the bowl today and said her family ate it all at once and loved it. My wife will easily have it that way too.

Sometimes the smoker is the way to go and sometimes it just takes too long. I'm going to fire it up this week though, if I can find the time. If not, then I'll use the crock pot again, but this time I'll keep a better eye on it!

I did my first real smoking yesterday with a sizable investment in meat. I did a 12 lb brisket and two 6 pound pork shoulders. I smoked all of it with hickory and apple for a good 8 hours and then foiled and moved it to the oven to finish up. I basically let everything rest overnight wrapped tight in foil and covered with a few towels. I sliced the brisket and pulled the pork this morning before work and my hands still smell like a pit. I can't wait to have dinner tonight, and a few days later, and week after next.

I think dedicating a good day to checking up on the smoker is reasonable time spent given how decently you can freeze and reheat.

I don't know where I saw it - must have been Good Eats or something - but I saw a device that seems right up our alley as homebrewers. Basically, it would fit over the vents on a simple Weber charcoal grill. It have a temp sensor, and when the temp dropped too low, it would open up the vents/blow in air to jack up the fire, and when the temp got too high it would automatically close things down.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or use something like that?

EDIT: Found it. This.

Back