Netflix Instant: Beer movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Beer Wars was good. It shows how the beer giants are starting to realize that the craft breweries are really starting to influence the American palette, and therefore, are staring to "copy" the styles of many craft breweries...which is true. AB is starting to push a much more diverse spread of beer styles, coupled with the purchasing of other small breweries.

Honestly though, I know that it is just human nature to hate on the big guys, but look, Bud Miller and Coors all posses something that many smaller breweries don't....it's called consistency. Even microbreweries give them a round of applause on that one....so what they lack in flavor, they make up for in being able to produce squirrel piss within six sigma.

Like most major US corporations...the bottom line is all that matters. If we as American's choose to drink it, then that's our problem, and BMC shouldn't be faulted for it....but to each his own....free speech ya'll.

i'm sure their stockholders would be totally cool with them having to pay boatloads more for content rights while keeping the same prices. makes for a hell of a business model..

My beef is then why doesn't Netflix just say that in their email? Why make it sound like they are doing us a favor? They had the opportunity to pass the buck and look like they're just caught in the middle, but they don't take it.:mad:

Empires of Industry: Brewed in America was good. People probably complain its not about the craft beer industry. But that's because the documentary focuses on pre and post prohibition, and less on the more recent stuff. Maybe people expected a documentary on SN, but that would only be good TV for the beer geek.

Beer wars is pretty good.
A real eye opener.

QUOTE=onipar;3075061]Hey all. I was just going through some Netflix stuff and noticed a few documentaries that might be of interest. I should start off by saying I haven't watched any of these yet, and so I'm not necessarily recommending them. Rather, just bringing them to your discerning attention.

Empires of Industry: Brewed in America. Some of the reviews are low and say it plays out as almost a beer commercial for the large beer breweries. I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

Beer Wars. This one has a bit more potential. I believe they go to smaller breweries to see what they have to do to compete with the big corporations.

Blood Into Wine. This one, as you probably figured out, is more about wine. My personal interest in it has more to do with Maynard James Keenan (lead singer of Tool) who this documentary is about. "This perceptive documentary tells the unusual tale of Maynard James Keenan, the hard-rocking, eccentric front man of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer who abruptly left Los Angeles in the mid-1990s to start a world-class vineyard in Arizona."

If you'd like, why not add other beer/wine/cider documentaries/movies to this thread and make something of a go-to list for Netlflix instant viewers.

Enjoy. :mug:[/QUOTE]

the documentary of "beerfest" is a really good one.. its about 2 brothers who travel to Munich to fulfill a family tradition, spreading the ashes of their deceased grandfather during the Oktoberfest. They stumble upon a secret beer competition, the Beerfest", where they are offended by Baron Wolfgang von Wolfhausen who accuses their great-grandmother of being a prostitute and their grandfather of stealing an old recipe. The brothers return to USA and decide to organize a beer team to compete in next Beerfest. No spoilers here, but hilarious antics ensue :)

Beerfest and Strange Brew were fun.

I just watched that Empires of Industry one not too long ago, and yeah, that's exactly what it was, a BMC commercial. Not to mention, in true History Channel fashion, they managed to take 5 minutes of information and with enough repetition stretch it into an hour long waste of time.

I always try to be on the lookout for new beer movies in Netflix instant but haven't seen anything not mentioned previously. Will check out bottle shock though.

Maynard James Keenan is a hero of mine. That being said I thought Blood Into Wine was pretty good. It would have been great but I’m really not into wine. But Maynard is great as always.

Beer Wars was great and I agree with pretty much everything that’s said. But that’s just opinion. Plus being so close to Dogfish Head (30 mins) makes it that much better since Sam plays a major role. I'd love to find some more. This thread is a great idea. Lets keep it going.

Maynard James Keenan is a hero of mine. That being said I thought Blood Into Wine was pretty good. It would have been great but I’m really not into wine. But Maynard is great as always.

Beer Wars was great and I agree with pretty much everything that’s said. But that’s just opinion. Plus being so close to Dogfish Head (30 mins) makes it that much better since Sam plays a major role. I'd love to find some more. This thread is a great idea. Lets keep it going.

Absolutely, I'm glad everyone kept adding to this. I haven't noticed anything new lately, but I'll post here if I do.

Beerfest: "I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Strange Brew: "This movie was shot in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh?"

After looking up some of these quotes, I just had to see Strange Brew again (for maybe the 15th time). To the top of the Queue it goes! On a more serious note I will check out some of these other movies.

Watch "How Beer Saved the World" on Netflix last night. While there was some cool information in it, it was overly dramatic and cheaply produced. Also it seems like it was produced by MillerCoors because they kept referring to Miller & Coors but not really any other breweries.

Watch "How Beer Saved the World" on Netflix last night. While there was some cool information in it, it was overly dramatic and cheaply produced. Also it seems like it was produced by MillerCoors because they kept referring to Miller & Coors but not really any other breweries.

Ha. I was just going to post that one. Watching it right now. Guess I haven't gotten to the Miller Coors part yet.

Edit: Yeah, I'd definitely say they had a hand in the funding.

little 45min quickie--> discovery's "how stuff works:food and beverage." episode 4 is about beer. not too bad of a watch, shows a little bit of SN.

Back