Sanitizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am running low on "Straight A" sold by the LBSS. Can I just use Oxi-Clean which I can get at Target and a much shorter drive.

BTW are they both non-rinse?

Oxi-Clean is not a sanitized. It is a cleaner

It is also not non-rinse.

Im in the train, or I'd look for a post for you about cleaning versus sanitizing. I'm sure you can find it if you search. :)

You're talking two different things here.

Cleaners clean; they remove dirt and residue from a surface or a tool - Oxi-Clean is a cleaner, not a sanitizer.

Sanitizers kill surface bacteria and prevent other bacteria from taking hold.

Some products are marketed fill both roles; sounds like "Straight A" (I haven't heard of this one) is one of those. Personally, I just feel more confident using a specialized substance for cleaning, and another for sanitizing, but YMMV.

A good combo could be OxiClean to clean (make sure to get the Free variety, it has no scents or anything like that added) and StarSan to sanitize.

+1 on having chemicals for either, not trying to use one for both jobs.

I've used oxyclean to clean stuff... I'm giving PBW a try right now (was pretty much out of oxyclean, so I picked up PBW since I've heard great things about it)...

For a sanitizer, StarSan is my 'go to' solution. I know of several other brewers (that I've brewed with) that use it. Very easy to mix up a batch, you can keep some on hand if you wish (I usually do, often changing it about once a month if I've not used it up by then). I don't like to use things like iodine more due to being color blind. SO anything that has it's effectiveness based on color is not a good idea for me. I'm not even 100% sure when I'm matching PH strip readings. Luckily, it's not come back to bite me... Yet...

If you want a true 'no-rinse' item, then you need to be sure it specifically says it is. Most cleaners (or the ones I've seen) do need to be rinsed. Sanitizers can be no-rinse. Bleach is not one of those, or cleaners that use chlorine/bleach. With all the potential negative effects you can have from any chlorine remaining in the fermenter, or getting into the brew, I would avoid it at all costs... Better to spend a few dollars more on a great sanitizer than go the cheap route... BTW, I do have an unopened bottle of bleach that I picked up after my second batch. Then I read about the issues you could have from using it... Haven't touched it since. It's getting a nice layer of dust on it now. :D

You're talking two different things here.

Cleaners clean; they remove dirt and residue from a surface or a tool - Oxi-Clean is a cleaner, not a sanitizer.

Sanitizers kill surface bacteria and prevent other bacteria from taking hold.

A good combo could be OxiClean to clean (make sure to get the Free variety, it has no scents or anything like that added) and StarSan to sanitize.

+1. Oxyclean works amazingly well. I add a scoop and fill my primary with water, let it sit for a few days, give it a quick wipe with a cloth (with the water still in it), dump it, rinse it and it's clean. I also use just regular oxyclean (as I could not for the life of me find any of the free stuff) and I just make sure its rinsed really well after.

I have used Iodophor and I now use StarSan, they both work great only StarSan is quicker and easier to use. I kind of miss the smell of Iodophor though!!

My money is with StarSan since you can mix up a 32oz spray bottle and sanitize just about anything under the sun by spraying and not soaking!

Oxyclean Free is great for cleaning any kind of protein "stuff" out of all but Aluminum!!

GET 'EM! You will not regret it!

Just my 2 cents :cross:

Went down t the LHBS and found that Straight A is a cleaner. Man, we bottled over 20 gallons w/out using a sanitizer. So far we've been lucky.

I picked up a bottle of StarSan, but it costs $17 over here for 16 oz. Gonna check on line to see bout the next bottle. I know it will be less, but who knows about shipping to paradise :) :mug:

Checked online. W/shipping can't beat the local price.

I use PBW and StarSan.

StarSan can be reused if kept in a tightly sealed, opaque container. I poor it into my carboy, swish it around, let it sit, swish it, let is sit.... poor it back into my storage container and use it again next time. The only thing you have to be careful of is maintaining the Ph of the mixture (don't remember the Ph to make it most effective but I heard it on the Sanitizing podcast on Brew Strong), mixing the correct ratio to ensure it is no-rinse and make sure you don't have particulate matter in it due to improper cleaning.

Went down t the LHBS and found that Straight A is a cleaner. Man, we bottled over 20 gallons w/out using a sanitizer. So far we've been lucky.

I try to be as clean as possible in my process, but this goes to show that a little miss-step isn't going to end your brew.

I picked up a bottle of StarSan, but it costs $17 over here for 16 oz. Gonna check on line to see bout the next bottle. I know it will be less, but who knows about shipping to paradise :) :mug:

Checked online. W/shipping can't beat the local price.

Star san lasts a long time, so don't worry too much about what appears to be a high price, it's not actually that bad a price when you know how to use the stuff correctly.
Mix it up using deionised or distilled water and you can reuse it numerous times, so you'll get a few years out of the large bottle.

Back