Loaded up on IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I took a trip to the nearest Spec's Liquor, which has a pretty awesome beer selection. I've been getting more and more into American IPAs lately, so I picked up quite a few this time:

Pyramid Thunderhead IPA
Left Hand Warrior IPA
Stone IPA
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
(also got the Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, looks fantastic)

I also picked up a couple different British ales:

Belhaven St. Andrews
Young's Old Nick

And of course my three standbys:

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
Schneider Aventinus
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

I should be good to go for quite awhile now, between all that and my four most recent batches of homebrew. Good times! :ban: :mug: :rockin:

We were in Milwaukee a couple years and were at the Landmark 1850 Inn and they had oak aged Yeti on tap and it was so good that I bought 2 growlers of it and an additional carry on suitcase and brought them on the plane with me and back to San Diego with me to share with some friends.

good times, good times

Nice score Torchiest! Very nice list there.

I actually went looking for a Thunderhead IPA today as well...couldn't find any. I ended up geting a Celis white and a Celis Raspberry. I've never had either of them. I actually have big expectations for these two beers. We'll see.

I've really been getting into alot of the hoppier beers myself. I used to avoid them; but when you start stumbling across some of the great ones like Stone IPA and the Dogfish Head IPAs, it changes your tastes. I just saw a six of Troegs new Nugget Nectar in a great local liquor store yesterday. This thread has my taste buds going. I think I'll pick that one up on the way home today.

Dude said:
Nice score Torchiest! Very nice list there.

I actually went looking for a Thunderhead IPA today as well...couldn't find any. I ended up geting a Celis white and a Celis Raspberry. I've never had either of them. I actually have big expectations for these two beers. We'll see.

I dunno if this is common knowledge, but Celis was originally an Austin brewery, and I thought Miller had bought them and closed the brewery back in late2000. We had both of those on tap at my bar when it opened in 1998.

As for the beers, the Stone IPA was awesome. I'd never had it before. I already knew I liked the Thunderhead, and it's been doing me up nicely for a week now. However, I did NOT like the Warrior IPA at all. I couldn't even finish the bomber, but at least I got a bottle out of the deal.

I'm still looking forward to the Great Divide beers. I've never tried any of their stuff, but I've heard nothing but praise of their beers.

I dunno if this is common knowledge, but Celis was originally an Austin brewery, and I thought Miller had bought them and closed the brewery back in late2000. We had both of those on tap at my bar when it opened in 1998.
You are correct that Celis originated in Austin Texas and eventually (sadly) sold to Miller. Miller then buried the brand and ultimately sold to Michigan Brewing Company. This is where Celis is brewed today. Glad to see that the brand lives but I don't think it is as good as when it was in Austin. The thing about the Austin Brewery is that the water profile is nearly identical to that of Hoogarten Belgium which is why Pierre Celis decide to locate his brewery there in the first place. Happily, Pierre is still actively brewing back in Belgium, which means we can still enjoy the wonderful beers made by this extraordinary brewer that revived the Wit Beer Style.

I became a big fan of Stone IPA while living in SoCal, but sadly I can't find it in NC :(

.....so I just bottled a AHS Stone IPA clone yesterday and first indications are that it'll be damn tasty :ban:

Though Foothills Brewing Co out of Winston-Salem has a killer "Seeing Double" IPA that might fill the Stone niche....:cross:

Back