How dented is too dented?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I ask this because i have located some pepsi kegs at a scrap yard. What should i be looking for when picking up scrapped cornys?

The integrity of the inside is the main factor. Other than that, you just want them to hold pressure. None of mine have anything more than minor dents.

Any dents around the lip of the top opening or bent lids would disqualify them. Lid seals are touchy enough without dents. Chipped plugs are also a stopper. Side dents don't matter. In fact, any damage around the top is a potential problem.

ok, side dents are ok...................................they guy at the scrap yard said "it even has the lid" like it was a surprise. I wonder what that means?

Oh well, i am off to pick it up after work.

WOW, this keg is better than the one i bought at the LHBS!!! I gave the pressure relief valve a pull and "PSSSSSSSSSSSS". YES, i even holds pressure!

a solid 5 dollar score i would say.

Back