Finding things that have started to ferment at work...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
Well like the title says at work i always look at things and think to myself wow, I could use that in my homebrew.

Well low and behold Im working its 5 am and Im half asleep. I was taking inventory of product on hand and found a gallon of opened vanilla syrup for shakes that had expired august 20th. The interesting part was that it had a layer of brown trub on the bottom of the gallon and it also had a 1/2 inch of foam on the top of the gallon. At first I just thought it was moldy but I took a look closer and its was bubbling. I opened the gallon to a suprise of a hiss and a pleasant vanilla sour smell.

Part of me wanted to save it and try it as I potentially found wild yeast and part of me said it was gross and threw it out.

Im sad cause I didnt even take a picture.:(

Well like the title says at work i always look at things and think to myself wow, I could use that in my homebrew.

Well low and behold Im working its 5 am and Im half asleep. I was taking inventory of product on hand and found a gallon of opened vanilla syrup for shakes that had expired august 20th. The interesting part was that it had a layer of brown trub on the bottom of the gallon and it also had a 1/2 inch of foam on the top of the gallon. At first I just thought it was moldy but I took a look closer and its was bubbling. I opened the gallon to a suprise of a hiss and a pleasant vanilla sour smell.

Part of me wanted to save it and try it as I potentially found wild yeast and part of me said it was gross and threw it out.

Im sad cause I didnt even take a picture.:(

...now we're sad too. :confused:

so heres an update on this several months later i found the same product fermenting at work while doing inventory. it smelled really sour and you can see the krausen in the pics. if it werent for the fact that the owner was there with me i might have kept it around and seen what the results would have been.

anyway enjoy the pic!

IMG00031-20110508-0740.jpg

Back