So... this kegging thing is SWEET, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
... I have no idea how the pressure release on my newly aquired corny is supposed to work.

I've seen several different types of release mechanism, all of which had something obvious that you could push or pull on to vent the canister.

Some potentially useful (?) info:
  • The keg is already full of beer.
  • I am in NO immediate need of venting the keg. I am just ust curious.
  • It's a pin-lock keg from Coke.
  • It seems to me to be a little shorter and fatter that other corny kegs I have seen, but I perhaps I have only seen ones from Pepsi and they differ?
    • By the way, does pin-lock == Coke and ball-lock == Pepsi or do both manufacturers use both types of connector?
  • Most importantly, attached is a picture of the top of the canister showing the valve. Sorry the picyre isn't the greatest. I have crappy light in the garage and a camera several years old.
There are some some grey plastic pieces inside of those holes, and I thought maybe I just needed to push something like a small screwdriver into it and press down on those things. So, I gave that a shot but was afraid of breaking the thing, so only used a small amount of force. Nothing happened, but I don't know if it was lack of force or knowledge. :eek:

-walker

corny_top.jpg

I've got two kegs just like yours. I've had them about 8 months and haven't figured out if those are release valves or not. Surely they are, I think they only work if the pressure in the keg reaches a certain amount.

one of the downsides of having those Coke aka Firestone kegs, is that almost everyone else has the Pepsi/everyone else aka Cornelius kegs. It's a lot easier to find info on corny kegs. Plus, you'll have to really look around to find more Coke kegs when you get ready to add on. And finally, the posts are a major PITA to get off unless you buy a $20 plus shipping socket, or make one.

I just realized it might sound like I'm slamming your new kegs. Maybe I am, but only because I own two of them and those are the frustrations I've had. I just bought my third keg and had to buy a corney because that was all I could find in town. :(

On the other hand, kegging in any container is just freaking awesome, isn't it? I bet you loved washing that one big bottle! And how nice is it that you can carb overnight?

If you haven't yet, buy some of that 3/16" hose for your beer side. Perfect pours!

Thanks for the info, Billy.

I actually didn't have any trouble getting the posts off (vice-grips), but I sure would like to have a wrench or socket for it.

I'm not set on having both my kegs be the same type, so I've got no problem buying new connectors and a corny as my other keg.

-walker

it's really not as bad as billybrew is making it out to be. i bought a cheap 13/16 socket at homedepot for a few dollars, then used my dremel to make cutouts. took maybe 10-20 minutes to make them, check them, and make them deeper.

also, they are not all firestone, cornelius also made some pin lock kegs. in fact, i believe i have some.

i personally have both types of kegs, about 7 of each in fact. important thing is to make sure you use flared connectors, and not barbed, otherwise you will be locked in to one type. i have so many QD's now too so i can take things with me without having to destroy the kegerator, etc.

you are correct in your assertion that coke equals pin, and pepsi equals ball. generally coke only uses pin, and other smaller distributors will use ball, but that's just generally speaking. ball lock tend to be easier to find and cheaper when you do find them. that said, i've paid about 20 for all my kegs regardless of connector, and since i use flared fittings, i just had to get more fittings.

personally i sorta like the pin lock kegs. the QD's feel like they go on easier, shorter... but i do like ball lock since i can get them so readily if i need to.

also, about the pressure relief. that is an emergency pressure relief valve, not a manual bleed valve. the easiest way to relieve pressure is to get a spare co2 'in' connector and not have anything attached to it and use it to bleed off the air. i also bought a small piece of black plastic that was made to bleed the air from the in post, and it was cheap. the other option is to get a new lid. this will be more expensive. i've seen auctions for multiple lids/posts/tubes going for a good price.

also, kegging is addictive... haha. have fun!

gnef said:
about the pressure relief. that is an emergency pressure relief valve, not a manual bleed valve. the easiest way to relieve pressure is to get a spare co2 'in' connector and not have anything attached to it and use it to bleed off the air.
Thanks gnef. I've got an extra gas-in connector, so I'll use that to vent it when necessary.

-walker

gnef said:
it's really not as bad as billybrew is making it out to be. i bought a cheap 13/16 socket at homedepot for a few dollars, then used my dremel to make cutouts. took maybe 10-20 minutes to make them, check them, and make them deeper.

I made mine, but had a heck of a time finding the right socket. I couldn't find a star 13/16 socket. I ended up with a regular one that I dremeled into a star. It gets the gas post off pretty easy, but I've got one beer post that I've not been able get off. Did you have that same problem?

I know, i really didn't mean to make it sound that bad. And it's not, but that has been a bit frustrating for me.

by star do you mean 6 point or 12 point?

i believe the one i have is a 6 point, and the only problem i had with it was that i didn't cut the slots deep enough and torqued a bit on the pins at first. once i realized, i cut them deeper and haven't had issues yet. though, i haven't broken them down much recently.

gnef said:

i believe the one i have is a 6 point, and the only problem i had with it was that i didn't cut the slots deep enough and torqued a bit on the pins at first. once i realized, i cut them deeper and haven't had issues yet. though, i haven't broken them down much recently.

Anyone have pics or instructions on how to do this?

gnef said:

I mean the 12 point. I tried with a 6 point and couldn't get it to fit even after cutting the grooves in it. After dremeling it into a 12 point I got it to fit, but not really tight. I'm afraid to put the kind of pressure on it that I feel like I need to with it not fitting right.

Latest posts

Back