kenmore 4.6 cu ft mini fridge for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
Im sure this would work for a kegerator with 2 cornys and a 5 lb tank but i was wondering if anyone has used this for a kegerator? My big concern is if the small ice tray which i am assuming has the freon would get in the way of a corny keg or if it is tall enough to get in there without having to bend it?

thanks

does anyone own this fridge and know if the freon line could be bent backwards?

I'm not sure about the 4.6 cu minifridge. But I have a Kenmore mini fridge with a freezer compartment. Mine has quite a bit of tubing from the back of the fridge to the freezer shelf. I was able to bend it to the back of the fridge without using much force. You should definately do this after the fridge is warm, I have heard of several folks who have tried to do this with the fridge cold and snapped the freon tube (snapped freon tube = junked fridge). I let mine sit unplugged for several days and the tube seemed to bend very easily.

Instead of bending the freezer, how about adding a small wood and foam extension? You can move the door forward a few inches to fit two kegs.

Look in the gallery, I think there are some pics of that mod there.

You can carefully bend the freezer compartment tubes to a safe position. I did it with a Magic Chef 3.6cf fridge and put a 2x12 cuff on the front. Look on the right side past the wood cuff. You can see the freezer shelf was straightend and bend downward along the right side wall. I tried not to bend the main tube coming out the back of the fridge. Otherwise it straightned easily and works lika a champ.
Keggerator_Build_006.jpg

hmm i have never seen anybody bend it that way how hard was it to bend without crimping the lines?

Mine had a longer tube...

I was also very wary when I did it. Actually I took the shelf off the snaps on the top "just to look closer" and the shelf almost bent down on its own. I used very little force and took my time (small bend - wait a bit, then try a small bend again).

I wish you luck ...

hmm i have never seen anybody bend it that way how hard was it to bend without crimping the lines?

If you look closely at the chiller 'tab', you can see the slightly wavy areas where it was bent to form a wide 'u' shape. Let everything get warm and make sure all retention points are unscrewed/removed. Slowly bend the plate into a flat shape (or as flat as you can get it). I left the thermostat in the fridge because I may re-use it as a regular fridge or turn it into a ferm chamber when I build a keezer.

i doubt it since there is a cooling plate on the inside. However looking into it if you do not add a collar then 2 corny kegs will fit after modification including the bending of the freon plate and the stuff on the door needs to be removed (obviously) but also one side with all the shelf sports that stick out to hold the shelves up needs to be cut and removed (i have yet to do this as i am looking at getting the danby dar440bl but if you can shave them off and replace with plexi glass and it would be good to go)

You can carefully bend the freezer compartment tubes to a safe position. I did it with a Magic Chef 3.6cf fridge and put a 2x12 cuff on the front. Look on the right side past the wood cuff. You can see the freezer shelf was straightend and bend downward along the right side wall. I tried not to bend the main tube coming out the back of the fridge. Otherwise it straightned easily and works lika a champ.
Keggerator_Build_006.jpg

I was thinking about doing this but I was afraid it wouldn't be energy efficient. Do you suggest others to do the same or is it really not worth it?

Witch bumps carry the refrigerant line the ones that are every few inches across the whole inside top of the fridge ? I've done everything else I'm just afraid of hitting the lines

Back