What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mech Engineer from Drexel. Cooking nut/food science nut. I also like everything about knives way too much (hand sharpening/care, technique/chops)...hehe chops

I'm a machinist (currently laid off), not an engineer.
However, I have had machining jobs where I basically had to redo all of engineering's work to get parts to print without seriously damaging tooling,machines, the parts, etc.

'09 BS Electrical and Computer Engineering from Northeastern University.... give me a job

Me and my roomates loved Good Eats and beer, saw the brewing episode and made the plunge

Hey fellow class of '09 Co-op school engineer! Job market sucks doesn't it? Even with the full time job experience from Drexel it took around 200 applications to finally land a gig.

I'm a design Engineer (Fire Protection)and Manager of the companies Engineering Dept. so I don't get to design as much as I'd like.

I put non-engineer but architect is fairly close... the arch program was a good mix of arty and math.

I'm a landscape architect, so there is a fair amount of overlap with civil engineering (roads, drainage, earth retention, etc). Still doesn't make me a PE though, since I can't legally design a retaining wall taller than 4ft without a PE stamp on it... :rolleyes:

On another note, reflecting on justflow1983's comment, I'd say, too, that landscape architecture is a lot like brewing in that it's a good balance of art and science. Guess that's part of the attraction to both my profession and my hobby!

I worked in restaurants for 18 years. Now I sell restaurant equipment.

Licensed funeral director recently returned back to school for a nursing degree.
This would have been a lot funnier the other way around.

And no, I'm not an engineer. I do run machinery for a living though.

Non-engineer. I'm a computer science student, but the courses I take are pretty much the same as those in the computer engineering program on my university.

Non-engineer. I'm a computer science student, but the courses I take are pretty much the same as those in the computer engineering program on my university.

Comp Sci usually think in words; computer engineers work with bits. I've worked with compsci guys who had real trouble writing code at the hardware level. They really needed a API/OS. Maybe not you, but this is my experience.

I'm a chemist, but some of my homebrewer colleagues are engineers. I tend to geek out more on creating and developing my own recipes, and they geek out much more on the DIY brewing equipment.

Obviously not universal, but it makes some sense.

i repair electronic equipment but i am not an engineer. not that there is anything wrong with being a big nerd. just kidding, i work with a bunch of engineers and they are all pretty cool.

No, but I used to impersonate an electronics tech for a living. They were even nice enough to pay me for it and not dock my pay for frying $600.00 circuit boards.

Some of my many job titles has engineer in it, does that count?
But just a jack of many trades and master of none. IE: Computer Analyst.

I don't even own a stripped hat. What would you call a BS in Engineering Physicas, Nuclear Power training, a MBA and 40+ years of computer geeking?

Retired.

I'm a Special Commodities Relocation Engineer (truck driver) haha. No, not an engineer but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I checked "non-engineer" because I don't have an engineering degree.

I did go through 2 years of mechanical engineering in school though, before switching to computer science. My last job title was Software Engineer. Now I'm a "consultant"

Comp Sci usually think in words; computer engineers work with bits. I've worked with compsci guys who had real trouble writing code at the hardware level. They really needed a API/OS. Maybe not you, but this is my experience.

There's a whole hell of a lot of overlap in the two. I write better machine code than most of my engineer friends, and some of them write better API code than I do.

For me atleast, I couldn't handle how rigid engineering school was. Getting no credit on an (mechanics) exam because I'd managed to eliminate a whole bunch of variables from a simple problem and still get the right answer was what drove me out of engineering and into comp sci.

MSEE here. Did R&D in the telecom field (really applied math) for a while and got tired of living in the lab and the office. Now I get paid to break rocks in the oil field.

Best engineering conversation I ever had was with a barista at Starbucks in Longview when I first came out here for work:

Her: So what do you do?
Me: I'm an engineer
Her: Really? That's so cool
Me: Yeah, I like it and it pays really well
Her: Do they make you wear the funny hat when you drive the train?
Me: *speechless*

Computer Science. It's not strictly an engineering degree but we don't have to be licensed to call ourselves engineers legally :D

Computer Science. It's not strictly an engineering degree but we don't have to be licensed to call ourselves engineers legally :D

I don't know about other universities, but at Illinois computer science is part of the college of engineering. In that case I don't see why you wouldn't call it an engineering degree.

I don't know about other universities, but at Illinois computer science is part of the college of engineering. In that case I don't see why you wouldn't call it an engineering degree.

Well I did graduate from Cornell's "College of Engineering" but only because CS doesn't have engineering in the name and doesn't always follow the same rigors as the stereotypical "engineering" disciplines.

Depends on the school. Some are Bachelors of Science, some are Bachelors of Arts.

In my case, Computer Science, Physics, and Math were in the College of Arts and Sciences, and were all BAs, and engineering were from the College of Engineering, and were BSs.

Interesting question. Not sure how you'd count it but technically I'm an audio engineer, although major was in music management.

Back