Cake reuse - some guidance requested...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I could use some guidance and wisdom on the following scenario for this weekend:

I am going to brew 2 20 gallon batches. One 10 gallon batch will be my Sierra ESB clone (OG 1.054), the other will be my Shakespeare Stout clone (OG: 1.061). I am looking to reuse the yeast/pitch on the cakes of the following:

I have 2 6.5 gallon glass carboys of Biermuncher's CO3C that will be racked to secondaries. Both have S-05 cakes.

I have one plastic fermenter with a 1.067 Strong Ale that will be kegged and used S-05. (I usually use Wyeast 1056 for the clone recipes, but wanted to try S-05).

I am thinking of pitching the new brews right on these cakes. Here is what I am thinking. First, after racking the CO3C's to secondaries, just pitch the ESB, split evenly of course, right on the cakes from Biermuncher's recipe.

For the stout, take half the cake from the Stong-Ale (it is only one 5 gallon batch), and put into two fermenters, then split the stout evenly over these two cakes. ( I would put both cakes into glass carboys with 1 inch blowoffs).

Do you see any problems with this simple approach????? I have used starters for a while, but have never pitched onto cakes before. I have to admit, one of the things I would love to see is the crazy fermenting! But, these are two of my favorite beers and I want to make sure they turn out as good as always. (Not too concerned about the change in yeast, I actually would like to see the difference).

I appreciate any advice or comments you have. Should be a fun weekend!

*** As a side note: I love when this happens---> My neighbor, the absolute prototypical BMC guy (Bud, and Bud only, I can't stand that heavy stuff) LOVES the stout. It is really fun and cool when you can convert, or at least educate, someone on the craft and style.

Thanks all!

:mug:

Plan sounds fine. Why not just use one new carboy for half the Stout, and leave the other half in the existing plastic fermenter you used for the Strong Ale? One less transfer of yeast cake, one less fermenter to clean.

Plan sounds fine. Why not just use one new carboy for half the Stout, and leave the other half in the existing plastic fermenter you used for the Strong Ale? One less transfer of yeast cake, one less fermenter to clean.

Totally agree....just call it selfishness to watch the action.
:D

Back