Skunky but Crystal Clear after sunlight exposure.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giligson

Reaction score
We all know that UV exposure to sunlight "skunks" the alpha acids in hopped beer. So for fun today I thought I would try the experiment with some recent lager that I drew for a taste and F.G. Sample. I bottled in a clear glass bottle and set it out in the sun for 2 hours. The initial sample had a typical protein haze that I am waiting out to clear by gravity. When I came back to get the bottle the beer was almost crystal clear. Initially I though this may have to do with soluability since the beer warmed up in the sun. I stuck it in the freezer for 15 min until it was about 6 celsius (serving temp) but the sample was still clear - no haze.
The sample had that great skunky "import" flavour and aroma (I actually do like a bit of that - having grown accustomed to it over the years drinking import bottle beer) but why did the protein haze dissapear - did I just not give it enough time to reform? was there a reaction with the altered hops?

Hmm... perhaps the ultraviolet light and/or radiant heat broke the hydrogen bonds between proteins and polyphenols.

Back