10 Gallon batches using Blichmann 20 GAL Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillwinkle

Reaction score
Howdy -

I have many questions, but I will only offer up a few. I have read a few books - and like anything else -it gets confusing because there are many ways to do things. Here we go and thanks in advance for the help! (I have a 20 gallon kettle, doing 10 gallon batches - PM extract only, Blichmann wort chiller, 5 & 6 gallons carboys, liquid yeast)

1) Grains in grain bag - should I put them in a certain amount of water before the boil and pull them right before the boil? Most directions are for a 5 gallon batch and not using a kettle as big as mine. Suggsestions on how much water to start off with and your comments please.

3) After the final hops are added - do I swirl the wort, (and if so for how long) and let it settle, (for how long) before transferring through the wort chiller? I am currently dividing it up between 2 6 gallon carboys. I put in a gallon or so in each one and repeat.

4) Secondary - I also use a secondary 5 gallon carboy.

5) Racking for bottling -

a) what is the proper method for adding the priming sugar?

b) After I boil the 32 oz and add 1.5 cups of dextrose per intructions, do I add it to the beer after I trasferring or before the transfer?

c) I know you are not suppose to aerate it, but how do you mix it the priming sugar without aeration?

Any other methods or suggestions of doing 10 gallon batches would be appreciated.

1) Grains in grain bag - should I put them in a certain amount of water before the boil and pull them right before the boil? Most directions are for a 5 gallon batch and not using a kettle as big as mine. Suggsestions on how much water to start off with and your comments please.

If your doing 10 gallon batches in a 20 gallon pot, you should go a head and start with a full boil volume ~12 gallons (depending on evap. loss). Put your steeping grains into the pot around ~160 degrees F for at least a half an hour.

2) After the final hops are added - do I swirl the wort, (and if so for how long) and let it settle, (for how long) before transferring through the wort chiller? I am currently dividing it up between 2 6 gallon carboys. I put in a gallon or so in each one and repeat.

Search "whirlpooling". The general idea of it is to re-suspend hop and cold break material so it settles evenly in the center of your kettle, away from the bulkhead.

3) Secondary - I also use a secondary 5 gallon carboy.
Neat! I don't, just a long (5 week) primary except with BIG beers. Do what works for you.

I choose to rack from fermenter to bottling bucket and gently stir in my priming sugar/boiled water mix (sugar concentration adjusted for beer style).

b) After I boil the 32 oz and add 1.5 cups of dextrose per intructions, do I add it to the beer after I trasferring or before the transfer?

Kinda answered above, after.

c) I know you are not suppose to aerate it, but how do you mix it the priming sugar without aeration?

Gently stirring with a long, sanitized spoon.

Any other methods or suggestions of doing 10 gallon batches would be appreciated.

There is no one right way to do anything, experimenting is half the fun! I don't know your experience level, but maybe start with a few 5 gallon batches and perfect your routine, then make the leap to 10 gallon batches.

Cheers:mug:!

BUMP: Why do you need to double the water addition for the priming sugar? I have no problem doing it I'm just curious. Going to be making a 10 gallon bottling bucket and bottling soon and am curious about the need of 32oz of water for priming solution.

If your doing 10 gallon batches in a 20 gallon pot, you should go a head and start with a full boil volume ~12 gallons (depending on evap. loss). Put your steeping grains into the pot around ~160 degrees F for at least a half an hour.

2) After the final hops are added - do I swirl the wort, (and if so for how long) and let it settle, (for how long) before transferring through the wort chiller? I am currently dividing it up between 2 6 gallon carboys. I put in a gallon or so in each one and repeat.

Search "whirlpooling". The general idea of it is to re-suspend hop and cold break material so it settles evenly in the center of your kettle, away from the bulkhead.

3) Secondary - I also use a secondary 5 gallon carboy.
Neat! I don't, just a long (5 week) primary except with BIG beers. Do what works for you.

I choose to rack from fermenter to bottling bucket and gently stir in my priming sugar/boiled water mix (sugar concentration adjusted for beer style).

Kinda answered above, after.

Gently stirring with a long, sanitized spoon. Or you can pour the priming solution into your bottling bucket and rack on top of that. The swirl created from the siphoned liquid entering the bucket will mix the priming solution with the beer.[/B]

There is no one right way to do anything, experimenting is half the fun! I don't know your experience level, but maybe start with a few 5 gallon batches and perfect your routine, then make the leap to 10 gallon batches.

Cheers:mug:!

See bolded/italicized/underlined above

Back