Negra Modelo clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
After reviewing other threads about this beer and the clones that exist, I found that I did not like any of them. So what do you think about this one? I don't prefer malty beers, but this is for my friend. Since I don't prefer malty beers, I am slightly altering some things to give myself plenty of opportunity to really like this brew. So on that note, I am mashing at a slightly lower temperature, increasing IBUs a bit and adding more fermentable malts (Pilsner) to balance the maltiness a bit more.

Code:
Bella Modelo
------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated IBUs: 27.0 IBU
Estimated Color: 20.0 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73%
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains:
4.50# Vienna Malt (42.86%)
3.50# Pilsner (2-Row) Germany (33.33%)
1.50# Caramel/Crystal 120L (14.29%)
0.50# Caravienne Malt (4.76%)
0.50# Caramunich Malt (4.76%)

Hops:
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2.50%) @90 min
1.00 oz Tettnang Tettnanger (4.70%) @90 min
0.50 oz Tettnang Tettnanger (4.70%) @10 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP940 (Mexican Lager)

Mash Profile:
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, 149F
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb

Negra Modelo's color seems to be 20 SRM to me. I might try reducing the Crystal 120L if necessary to reduce this.

Instead of adding more pilsner to make it less malty, add something like corn which will add gravity without adding more malt flavor. I would reduce the crystal 120 to .25 lbs or even get rid of it completely, it has a strong caramel and dark fruit character that I don't get in Negra Modelo. I would get most of the color from a small addition of Carafa Special, which won't add much flavor.

Otherwise it looks fine to me, good luck.

Would you mash the carafa and corn?

The corn needs to be mashed since it is full of starch. The carafa could be, but you might want to grind it fine and add it right before you recirculate to reduce the amount of flavor you get from it even further.

How's this alternate?

Code:
Bella Modelo
------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated IBUs: 27.2 IBU
Estimated Color: 19.4 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73%
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains:
5.75# Vienna Malt (56.10%)
3.00# Flaked Corn (29.27%)
0.50# Caravienne Malt (4.88%)
0.50# Caramunich Malt (4.88%)
0.50# Carafa I (4.88%)

Hops:
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2.50%) @90 min
1.00 oz Tettnang Tettnanger (4.70%) @90 min
0.50 oz Tettnang Tettnanger (4.70%) @10 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP940 (Mexican Lager)

Mash Profile:
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, 152F
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb

Should I increase the Vienna and reduce the flaked corn? Not sure how much Vienna will get me in terms of maltiness. I think I want the general profile of Negra Modelo but with slightly less maltiness. I also thought about removing the Caramunich and Caravienne and just substituting Carafa I. And regarding the IBUs and SRMs: any opinions on how close I might be to the Negra Modelo?

Back