Safale s 04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
Went to my lhbs today, but he was closed due to illness. So I ended up driving to the next closest shop and they didn't have any liquid yeast which is all I ever used before. He gave me safale s 04. I'm brewing a Scottish ale. Anyone know is this is a good yeast for it? And do I need to do anything else to it orjust put yeast in bucket?

It's as close as you can get without using liquid. Just sprinkle it in. Some rehydrate first but I've always just sprinkled it in with no problems.

Try to ferment it somewhere between 60-64. Scottish ales typically are very clean and S-04 will throw esters, especially if you get any higher.

Try to ferment it somewhere between 60-64. Scottish ales typically are very clean and S-04 will throw esters, especially if you get any higher.
Yeah he's right, according to Palmer and Zainasheff (Brewing Clasic Styles) US-05 would have been the better choice for dry yeast.

I agree with JustLooking that S05 finishes much cleaner but you should be good if you keep it on the cooler end of the fermentation temps.

'04 is less attenuative and as a result can be a good choice for a malty profile beer like a Scottish.

AS said, keep it in the low-mid 60's, especially the first 5-6 days of active fermentation.

I like to rehydrate my yeast by sprinkling into a cup of luke warm water before I start the brew session.

'04 is less attenuative and as a result can be a good choice for a malty profile beer like a Scottish.
That'll teach me to believe everything that I read. Brewing Classic Styles may be missing something here. The BJCP guidelines say, "Clean un-attentuative ale yeast." US-05 may be the the cleaner of the two, but its attentuation can be high. S-04 is a good choice. Be sure not to mash too low.

I like S-04 too.

From Northern Brewer- A well-known English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindroconical tanks. High sedimentation. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F

More info from fermentus about S-04; http://www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

Back