refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
Do all refractometers work in the same way? I went and bought a refractometer off e-bay after Bobby pumped them up. Except I bought one that gave the s.g. instead of just brix for ease of using. When I got it today it says salinity. I have not tested it against my hydrometer yet. Just curious if anyone has any insight about this.

Do all refractometers work in the same way? I went and bought a refractometer off e-bay after Bobby pumped them up. Except I bought one that gave the s.g. instead of just brix for ease of using. When I got it today it says salinity. I have not tested it against my hydrometer yet. Just curious if anyone has any insight about this.

The scale is designed to measure salinity, not sucrose, so your readings will be off. You could probably come up with an equation to convert to Brix or SG, but it would be easier to just get a refractometer that was designed to do that job in the first place. Well - even a brix refractometer will be off by about 4-6% because it's not just water a sucrose, but that correction is fairly easy to do.

See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/did-i-get-wrong-one-10521/

Refractometers read disolved solids. Any disolved solids as far as I know. Whether it is wort, salt water or urine. Brix is a different scale. One can be converted to the other. The scale of your refractometer needs to be in the range of what we are reading. I have some that read from 0 to .016, not real useful in brewing. Yours should work if it has both SG and salinity. If not you will have to find a way to convert the salinity scale to SG.

Hope this helps.

My apologies if I was wrong - please post your calibration results as you get them, OP, to clarify this once and for all.

Back