It burns my nose!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdub81

Reaction score
So I took a hyrdo reading yesterday of my beer, and it was right on point. I quickly sealed it back up again though because I realized I wasnt going to have enough time to bottle like I had planned.

However, I did notice then when I open the lid, the best smell came out. It actually smelled of a really good beer. Being careful not to breathe towards the open fermentor, I took one more good strong wiff before sealing- and it smelt wonderful again, then it hit me! I got a burn in my nose right at the end.

Is that kind of thing normal??

Yes its the CO2 I believe and I did the same thing on my first batch bent over and took a big inhale and wow! It was like jet fuel! I read her that its just the normal gas release.

Edit: Beat me to it!

That's what I figured. I can't wait to bottle - and even more, I can't wait to drink it!

Ah, but you certainly drank your hydrometer sample. Right?

That's one of my favorite things to do!

Yes, that's the stuff. I remember my 1st batch hardly believing that that syruppy sweet tea-tasting wort was now actual beer. It's a great realization!

So I think I just screwed my batch up - and I didnt even realize until AFTER I bottled.

I was re-reading the directions on my brew kit - and realized I DIDNT dissolve the Priming Sugar in water first! I mixed it in, and stirred it for about 3 minutes into the wort, then bottled.

Should I basically cut my losses, crack them open dump them and start a new batch?

Should I basically cut my losses, crack them open dump them and start a new batch?

nah.
let them sit a few weeks and drink them up. they may be a little under-carbed... but they will still be drinkable. Most likely pretty tasty as well.

this is not an uncommon experience. I as well as others have done the same thing.

So I think I just screwed my batch up - and I didnt even realize until AFTER I bottled.

I was re-reading the directions on my brew kit - and realized I DIDNT dissolve the Priming Sugar in water first! I mixed it in, and stirred it for about 3 minutes into the wort, then bottled.

Dont dump it. I have done this actually more than once and it turned out fine. I usually force carb in the keg but occasionally bottle, and I have forgot to disolve the sugar several times.

This site is great i have been reading like crazy and occasionally throw down a post or two. But with all Ive learned of what to do and what not to do I cant help but feel im going to be missing out on some stuff. Like the burning nostrils for example :)

Copy%20of%20gollum.jpg

It Burns us!!!!!

Phew - Good to know.

I also was filling my bottles and the last bottle I was filling didnt fill all the way up. So guess what became the tester!

I was actually pretty pleased. Really good taste for an uncarbonated beer, but would probably be much better when its cold and carbonated.

Mmmmm... 20 days and counting..

Yep I did that a few weeks back. I thought I had somehow made rocket fuel in my fermenter. After the initial DAMN!, I took a more careful sniff and it was smelling nice.

When we were first married, my wife was cooking corn on the cob, and I stuck my head over the pot and got a good whiff of fresh corn. The steam burned my nostril passages so bad that I ate my steak dinner with tissues shoved up my nose.

This is hilarious... literally 2 minutes before finding this thread, I went to check on my Haus Ale fermenting in my new chest freezer fermentation cabinet. Stooped down to look at what was left of the kraeusen and BANG! felt like someone punched me in the nose. Didn't even consider all the CO2 that would be in that freezer... lesson learned...

I helped my buddy bottle his first batch last night(no secondary).When we were done i told him "stick your head in there and take a big whiff of the yeast cake"Freaking hilarious!

I helped my buddy bottle his first batch last night(no secondary).When we were done i told him "stick your head in there and take a big whiff of the yeast cake"Freaking hilarious!

That's just cruel.. (And funny!)

I'll try that on my daughter next time we brew.

Heh, that reminds me of when I was working at a microbrewery. I was cleaning out the fermentation tanks and wasn't careful as I leaned in a bit to hose it out some more. Bam! A huge wave of CO2 hit me, burned my head, not just my nostrils and almost knocked me over due to light-headedness. Though an interesting experience, I don't think I'd like to do that again. Safe to say I learned my lesson.

Yeah CO2 can be downright nasty if it has a spot to pool. I've opened 15bbl fermenters before after thinking I had vented them well and been left with a burning sensation one does not forget. The one guy I knew with a chest freezer setup would open the bottom drain (think this was his own addition) to vent it out before cleaning it out.

I have to say, I enjoyed my first brew over the weekend.

I was very happy with the results. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it too!

Back