Portland Brewpub quest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgo

Reaction score
My daughter, quite improbably, picked Portland State to go to school. We're going up there next week (Wed. - Sat.) for her freshman orientation, and since we have to eat every day, we might as well eat at a brew pub, right?!?!

I know that Portland is the brewpub capital of the world, what are the top 3 that can't be missed?

Bridgeport for Happy hour http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/, Deschutes Brewpub, http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/BrewPub/Portland+Pub/default.aspx, and a McMenamins http://www.mcmenamins.com/ I like the Fulton in SW Portland.

I grew up in Portland, brewed for the McMenamins and the former Portland Brewing and was just there a few months back. You really have a lot of choices went you are there. The Rogue Brewpub might be worth stopping at as well.

Good luck and have a great time!!

Edit - if you have time try the McMenamins Bagdad for a movie, beer and pizza!! It really is great when it is raining.

cowgo...man, the list is just endless my friend and limiting to three is a challenge. I agree with B-Dub on his suggestions but will also suggest Hopworks Urban Brewery. Food menu isn't all that vast but they've got some great brews.

Laurelwood Brewpub has 1 location on the west side and 2 on the east side.

And the New Old Lompoc also with several locations.

Wow, I'll be like the proverbial kid in a candy store!

We can get Bridgeport here locally so I'll probably skip them, but the other suggestions will be hard to narrow down. I'm off to check out the links and locations.

Thanks for help!

Oh, just cause you can get the IPA or one other Bridgeport doesn't mean you should pass it up. Keep it on your list my friend. Cask conditioned ales, brewery only brews, etc etc.
Plus it's a neat little pub.

Black Lab Pub is good also, Green Dragon, Deschutes I complete agree with

I really like the Bridgeport cask ales. Also the Downtown Brown is rummered to be very good. If you go sit outside on the loading dock. Very nice in the Summer!

Thanks for the great tips! Time and a bad map only allowed for two brewpubs. Bridgeport and one I can't remember the name of...down around 2nd and Morrison.

Drank a lot of tasty brews the last few days.

Yikes. Portland traffic is brutal. Downtown, highways, any time of day, giant parking lot city. Great walking city though. I had a blast roaming around downtown and the Pearl district.

Brewpub near 2nd and Morrison is probably Rock Bottom pub. Never been there, but not heard anything bad about it. Portland traffic isn't really that bad, unless you compare it to Kansas. Can't imagine there's too much traffic in cornfields. :D I hate driving downtown since they're ripping up the northern half of it for 'upgrades'.

Yeah, 2nd & Morrison is Rock Bottom. National Chain, not exactly my first choice when in a place like Portland, but I understand time constraints, etc.

I try to avoid the west side if at all possible. Traffic can be nightmare on that side of the river. Let us know the next time you're in town and maybe we can do a PDX pub crawl!

PUB CRAWL!!!

We've been talking about another PDX crawl. We head up there every couple of months for a proper crawling.
Usually stay at the White Eagle, then can hop on the MAX and can get in all the favs.
Green Dragon, Lucky Lab, Belmont Station, Horse Brass, Amnesia, 5th Quadrant, Higgins, Pilsner Room, Mary's Club, HUB, etc. etc., and the list goes on.

Speaking of pub crawls, our club is planning a Halloween pub crawl through Eugene this year. Costum required to get on board the bus and then hitting the local watering holes, Bier Stein, Eugene City Brewery, Steelhead, Cornucopia, 5th Street, Oakshire, Ninkasi.
If anyone is in town, let me know, and I'll see if there's room on the bus.

:rockin:
Yep, Mary's has become pretty much tradition if we get up to PDX. Especially during the OBF.

Heh, we sat outside Mary's Club after the OBF with Brewtopia getting drunk and waiting for his peeps to come out of the club. We were at some brewpub that I now cannot place the name of. The Pilsner Room is nice, but friggin Expensive! Love Horse Brass and Belmont Station, and I don't recall if I've been to Amnesia or not.

Back