My IPA is Sweet??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
just opened an IPA that I was expecting to be great but its sweet??
It's only been bottled two weeks and is not fully carbed so I'm sure the yeast needs some time to work, but I didn't expect it to be this sweet when it finished at 1.012. The only thing I can think of is I added a small amount of cane suger to my priming sugar because I was a little short.
Am I tasting this, prior to the yeast consuming it? OG was 1.063 Fg 1.012
Heres' the recipe:
Amount Item Type
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain

2 min Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 18.20 qt of water at 168.4 F
60 min - Hold mash at 153.0 F for 60 min
2 min Step: Add 9.80 qt of water at 208.2 F
10 min - Hold mash at 170.0 F for 10 min
-- Drain Mash Tun
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 1.93 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.00 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.054 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 60 min Boil Ingredients
Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 1.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops
12 min 0.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (12 min) Hops
12 min 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (12 min) Hops

Please forgive me if this is wrong information. But I know cane sugar because of its molecular structure takes more time to break down then corn sugar (priming sugar)

How much did you have to use? If you had to substitute 50% or more then I would say give it time and your yeast will take care of that.

Well, you do have 2 pounds of caramel malts. My IPA uses 12 ounces of Crystal 60L for a similar grain bill. Did you taste it before bottling?

Well, you do have 2 pounds of caramel malts. My IPA uses 12 ounces of Crystal 60L for a similar grain bill. Did you taste it before bottling?

Ed,
that's the thing. When I tasted it when checking gravity, it tasted like an IPA.
I'm guessing its the bottling sugar I'm tasting, as its not fully carbed. If I remember correctly, I might have used two or three teaspoons and the rest was priming sugar.

If you wait you will be surprised how it drys out in 2 to 3 weeks aging. You can not rush this. Make more beer than you can drink and the problem will go away.

+1 on the BierMuncher then. Patience. RDWHAHB.

The collective knowledge has pulled thru again.
Opened one up tonight and the hops are really starting to pull
thru. I think another week or two will be even better, but I'm sure
enjoying this one now.

Prost!

Kewl.

I'm already thinking of a double IPA for the winter. Having kegs should help with the patience part since I will only bottle the beers I know I can drink right away. :drunk: They never seem to condition fast enough. ;)

- Eric

If you wait you will be surprised how it drys out in 2 to 3 weeks aging. You can not rush this. Make more beer than you can drink and the problem will go away.

I had a sickly sweet Rye IPA that I thought had no hope. I put it in a corner for 4 months and won a silver medal with it. You're attenuation was fine, so just enjoy the fact that you have beer that will improve over time.

Back