viable canned fruits..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
What are "bad ingreedients" for fermenting...
My local stores do not have "oregon" brand fruit...
can I find another brand?
what are "yeist killing" ingreedients that I need to avoid?
thanks
timg

Sorbates are some of the biggest killers. Anything canned in syrup can be troublesome to brew with too.

Look for stuff canned in water, preferably with nothing else added except for maybe ascorbic acid. Whether or not you will be able to find that, depends on fruit in question and your particular grocers.

FWIW, that advice is based on 40-50 batches of wine, but only done 3 of beer, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

I suggest fresh fruits. They are not that hard to work with. Every canned or pureed I've ever found had some kind of additive. I don't know enough chemistry to know which will retard or stop fermentation so I just learned to use fresh fruits. It's not hard - check my recipe for raspberry ale for a discussion of the issues about using fruit.

The oregan fruits are SUPPOSEDLY the only ones that have no preservatives or additive, though you may find some out there...You can order them online, several Brewsites including Mr beer sell the cans...

Though if you can't find them then take Steve's suggestion and go fresh or frozen. A lot of recipes use frozen fruit.

Frozen is generally better than fresh, unless you can find fresh that is grown locally. "Fresh" fruit is too often (almost always) picked before it is ripe, so that it doesn't spoil before it can make it to market and spend a few days on the shelves. Frozen isn't picked until it's ripe, and then frozen right there on site. Just make sure that you still check for preservatives, water vs syrup, etc.

Back