No Nose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHvanBommel

Reaction score
Hello, i'm new to the forum, this is my second batch and i'm not sure if my Maerzen (Oktoberfest) should not have a nose (at bottling time) or not. I would give stats but all I can tell you is that I had a great time brewing it, it sat in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks (i had leave on business) then I racked it for 3 days and bottled. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

A good Märzen should have a significant malt aroma, heavy on the Munich malt and accented by mild or moderate melanoidins or toasty notes from the decoction. You should have no hops, diacetyl, esters, or caramel (i.e., from too much crystal).

It's nearly impossible to get that malty richness from an extract batch, though, since you can't control your mash temperatures. "No nose," though, isn't necessarily a bad sign. Sometimes, it actually takes a little while for that maltiness to mature and come out. This is a beer that's meant to be lagered for some time, so give it that time.

TL

Well, first off, it's not really a Märzen if you didn't lager it. It's just an amber, or something like that.

Secondly, you shouldn't expect too much aroma off of a lager when it's still flat. Wait till it's carb'ed, then see.

Gentlemen, you were both right. I suppose in my "neuroticism(sp?)" i opened one because I lay awake all night reliving the entire brew/fermentation/transfer/bottling period. I opened one, at two days since bottling, and was relieved to hear the PST. so that means its carbonating, then I poured it into a glass and low and behold, it does have a nose. I'll write more later, my wife is making fun of me for posting...
Prosst!
Sebastian

UPDATE: ok, for starters you are right, it is in fact an ALE because i used an ale yeast vs. a Lager yeast. anyway, i'll update when it is done.

Back