Southwest Michigan Brewery Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I'll be in the Southwest area of Michigan for a couple of weeks soon and am looking for beer and brewery recommendations.

What are some of the beers I should search out? Breweries?

thanks!

GREENBUSH!!! They are in Sawyer, MI just a minute or two from I-94. Get off on at exit 12 and head east from the highway.

http://www.greenbushbrewing.com/

An interesting thing about this brewery - they are bringing 49 different beers to the Michigan Brewer's Guild summer beerfest this Friday. Their belgian styles are impeccable and they make my favorite black IPA.

Also, there is Brewery Vivant if you are in the Grand Rapids area.

Alright! I'm actually staying in Holland & have been to New Holland a bunch (and will go again!). I've never heard of Greenbush, so thanks for that rec!

I'm looking forward to Brewery Vivant! Would like to make it over to Bell's also.

Anything else?

Try hopcat brewpub. I used to live in GRR and have some beer loving buddies who tell me how great the beer scene.

They all say greenbush and shorts, and founders. Vivant also a fave, as well as Perrin.

Don't forget bells either.

TD

If you are already going to New Holland, Our Brewing Company is literally two doors down. They are pretty new, and specialize in doing small creative batches. Big Lake Brewing Co. just opened in Holland July 5th, but I haven't had a chance to go there yet.

There are two breweries I would suggest in Hudsonville, which is halfway between Holland and Grand Rapids. White Flame and Pike 51. They are only a block from eachother. All of my suggestions don't bottle (well, Pike 51 and White Flame have done like 100 bottle one-offs before) and they are all pretty unique and good.

In the greater Grand Rapids/Holland area we have like 14+ breweries, and I hate to say it, but I think New Holland is one of my least favorite of the bunch. Not that they are bad, but there's a lot of good beer in Beer City USA!

I would have to add Perrin Brewing Company.
They are a new brewery just north of Grand Rapids that has only been open about a year.
They have great beer and good food.

Oh man! This sounds fantastic! I've heard that Michigan has a great beer scene happening. I can't wait to visit some (all?!) of these places.

If you are already going to New Holland, Our Brewing Company is literally two doors down. They are pretty new, and specialize in doing small creative batches. Big Lake Brewing Co. just opened in Holland July 5th, but I haven't had a chance to go there yet.

There are two breweries I would suggest in Hudsonville, which is halfway between Holland and Grand Rapids. White Flame and Pike 51. They are only a block from eachother. All of my suggestions don't bottle (well, Pike 51 and White Flame have done like 100 bottle one-offs before) and they are all pretty unique and good.

In the greater Grand Rapids/Holland area we have like 14+ breweries, and I hate to say it, but I think New Holland is one of my least favorite of the bunch. Not that they are bad, but there's a lot of good beer in Beer City USA!

Ive been to A Big Lake and in Holland and would recommend a stop there. Also, odd side ales is just 25 min to the north.

Back