Did I screw up my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrg

Reaction score
Okay, so I bottled my cider last Wednesday. I did about 10 bottles dry and the rest I sweetened with splenda. the cider didn't seem as clear as it should have and while I was tasting/sweetening there seemed to be kind of an oily film when drinking it. Not a very good way of explaining it, but it's the best i got. so I bottled and let sit for a week to carbonate. i put a couple in the fridge for a night and then tried one. I was kind of disappointed. it wasn't really bad, but it wasn't really good either, and there was still kind of a film to it.

Did I mess something up? Any ideas? Thanks.

peace
-gw

Ingredients:

4 gallons for Mott's apple juice
4 cans of Great Value frozen apple juice concentrate
1 lb Light Brown Sugar
I packet of Windsor brewing yeast
Roughly half gallon of purified water

Procedure:

Primary:

• In a 5 gallon stock pot, poured approx. 1/3 of each gallon and put all 4 cans of frozen concentrate
• brought up to about 100 degrees F
• Set out a pan of 90-95 degrees F water and poured in packet of yeast (stirred every 5-10 min)
• Evenly divided up sugar into each of the gallon jugs
• Vigorously shook each jug too mix and dissolve sugar and to aerate
• Poured contents of stock pot into primary fermentation bucket
• Poured contents of gallon jugs into primary fermentation bucket
• Poured purified water into primary fermentation bucket
• Poured yeast into primary fermentation bucket
• Placed lid and air lock onto bucket and sealed. Filled air lock with water to the fill line

Secondary:

Moved to secondary after 9 days in primary. (9-14-07)

Latest posts

Back