Why to leave in primary if no air lock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knapptime

Reaction score
What would be the reason to leave your beer in you primary fermenter for say 2+ weeks if after a week you have no airlock activity. New to brewing and just wondering what the positive side to this would be.

No airlock activity does not mean that fermentation hasn't still been taking place or is over, but if you are wondering, take a gravity reading to know for sure, and then you will know the next step(s) to take.

Also, leaving it in there allows the yeast to clean up after themselves and allows the beer time to clear as they fall out of suspension.

Yep, making sure fermentation is done and stabilized is first order of biz. Then giving yeast a day or three at room temp to clean up after themselves. Gravity reading tells you when it's time (unless the beer tastes off and you want to give it more time to clean-up...you could rack to secondary, as well in that case...or just leave in primary).

Ok so I was asking because my whit has no more air lock and it has been less than a week. I took a gravity reading and it is where it should be. I tasted it and it does taste a little off ( I think I went a little hot when steeping my grains) I plan to rack to secondary an dry hop and add some more orange zest and maybe some orange pulp. I it cool if I just rack it now or should I stil wait the 2-3 days?

Ok so I was asking because my whit has no more air lock and it has been less than a week. I took a gravity reading and it is where it should be. I tasted it and it does taste a little off ( I think I went a little hot when steeping my grains) I plan to rack to secondary an dry hop and add some more orange zest and maybe some orange pulp. I it cool if I just rack it now or should I stil wait the 2-3 days?

Should be fine to rack to secondary. Be cautious with orange pulp. Can make a nasty vomit-ey taste in beer. I'd use the zest.

Did you cool the sample down to 40 before trying? Do that when you rack it over. Cold beer is more close to the final taste.

I always leave my beers in primary for at least 3 weeks. Since I started with 3 weeks as opposed to 1 then secondary I have seen a vast improvement! As previously mentioned, it gives the yeast time to clean up any off flavors and helps make a clearer product as well!

When you add your orange zest, make sure you use something like vodka to sanitize it before you add it to your beer. I didn't and got some wild yeast that caused me a couple of bottle bombs.

Even though wits generally get done faster,no airlock activity after only a few days signifies that only initial fermentation is done. That said.a wit could well be at or near FG in 4 days or so. Just check to be sure it's at FG before racking. Maybe even give it time to settle out,as this is the same time that clean up happens.

First off, I don't' recommend using the airlock as a sign of fermentation starting or ending. Use a hydrometer or refractometer to know what the gravity is.

The advantage in leaving your beer in the primary longer is to help it clear more if you don't use a secondary. If you are going to use a secondary, then just make sure your initial fermentation is complete (low gravity) and rack to secondary. The yeast will continue to clean up some compounds and the beer will clear more (not really applicable to a witbier).

I also second to use just the zest. Using the pulp and the white pith will probably not taste very good.

If you took one gravity reading and it is where it should be your fermentation might be finished. I would take another reading tomorrow or the next day, then if they are the same you can continue to the next step. I've never added any orange so I cannot advise on that.

I have always subscribed to the idea that 3 days without change means primary is finished.
I then cool it to let the yeast drop out and clean itself up for about another 4 days then harvest the yeast and let sit for anywhere from a week two 6 weeks depending on how I feel about the beer.

I've pretty much stopped racking to secondary unless I'm adding some fruit. I dry hop in primary and give all my beers 3-4 weeks in primary (usually 4). I'm not too concened about clarity, and I figure the extra time in primary may help clean up the beer. Also, the less I touch the beer, the less chance there is for an infection. So far it's worked out pretty well.

Hate to be that guy who says "use the search function," but seriously, there's a lot of great, very informative threads on the whole secondary vs. no secondary thing. I too, have largely given up on secondary as a result of reading through those threads...check 'em out, and make an informed decision!

Biochem I know I'm a typical noob and I did the typical noob thing and just jumped into starting a new thread. I will use the search next time.

Since this thread is already started and seems to have some very knowledgable people in it, I have a question.
How do you think Sanpellegrino orange, ( like the stuff in the cans with the foil on top) would go with a whit?
If I'm going to use it should I add it in the secondary with my dry hops or should I maybe use it as my priming sugar?

Just wondering as I sip on one right now

Biochem I know I'm a typical noob and I did the typical noob thing and just jumped into starting a new thread. I will use the search next time.

sorry, I didn't mean it to seem as if I was trying to slam you; in fact, I was kind of drawing attention to the fact that I didn't want to be "that guy." Only wanted to mention that if you were interested, there's a metric a$$tun of other reading material on the subject... Brew on!
:mug:

No trouble man I didn't take it as a slam. I'm as new to this forum as I am to brewing and love criticism in both.:mug:

Back