what happened with this batch. ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
So according to to beercalc... my OG should have been about 1.047. My pre boil gravity was 1.030. I got nervous so I added 1.5 cups of DME. My post boil gravity was 1.051.
So between that and evaporation should it have gone up that much?

If I didn't add the DME what do u think my OG would have been.

This is my 2nd all gran batch my first was off by .001

Input please

Without knowing the volume it's impossible to tell.

That said, you probably could have left it alone and ended up at most 2 points low. RDWHAHB. Evaporation causes a significant gain in gravity over a 60+ minute boil.

I boiled 6gl. Ended up with about 5gl maybe a bit less. (After a few gravity readings)

Yeah my first batch I didn't check gravity before boil so Idk how low I was before boil

And what does that abbreviation mean?

Haha to late I already added the dme. And I didn't have any home brew only miller lite lol.

But now I know for next time I guess if im low grav. post boil next time I could boil down or add DME and boils more.

I guess ill just have a beer with higher abv. This time

You should have had a 20% gain in OG due to evaporation with that boiloff.

Did you measure hot wort? It needs to be cool. There are compensation charts that will account for the temp, but for really accurate measurements cool the wort. I made this mistake last time.

Yea I thought temp had something to do with it im sure it wasn't cool enough. When I measured it post boil I made sure it was about 80* before checking.

And 20% wow that pretty much would have put me right where I wanted to be. Well I guess im getting pretty damn good efficiency for being a noob.....

Now I know not to panic next time..... its not like the DME is gunna mess it up

Back