How to mash cereal - help experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a wheat beer with 2 lbs of Frosted Mini Wheats. Do I need to do a protein rest or will the enzymes in the 2-row convert the wheat cereal at Saccrification rest?

Anyone ever brewed with cereal? I think it would be an easy way of incorporating some complex flavors.

Thanks,

I'm guessing that you would need to cook the mini wheats before you put them into the mash. I think they will convert just fine but again I'm guessing. :mug:

Personally, I wouldn't use manufactured breakfast cereal as an adjunt. I would think that they used chemicals to process it that I wouldn't want in MY beer.

Just my .02

Go to a health food store and buy wheat flakes. They are pre-gelatinized so you don't have to go though the cereal pre-mash. Just like the stuff from the brew store.
I too would avoid a breakfast cereal. There will be a bunch of stuff in it you don't want in your beer.

To use a gelatinized adjunct you just add it to the mash with enough base malt to convert it. Step mashing can help the process. If it's not gelatinized you have to cook it into a sticky paste first, then add it to the mash.

Back