Palisade Hops - Anyone have any expericence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffPhD2005

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have heard alot about a relatively new hop cultivar that is grown by Yakima Chief called Palisade and Ahtanum, both are dual (bittering and flavor). Has anyone had any experiences with these varieties, i.e. drinking or brewing?
I am trying to obtain some to brew with out her on the east coast but thought I would pose the question.
Thanks
Jeff

I recently brewed an IPA on the milder side with a mix of simcoe and palisade for bittering, and palisade alone for flavor and aroma. Prior to dry-hopping the beer was very smoothly bittered (especially for 70 IBU, very pleasurable lingering), and the flavor was mostly floral, very little of the grapefruit flavor typically associated with american hops. A nice IPA or APA but the hop flavor is more reminiscent of a British pale ale in my opinion.

I used them 60m and 15m in an Irish Ale. I won't use them again for that. They are a little perfumey. Kinda like drinking and old lady.

I might use them in conjunction with other hops in the future.

I haven't tasted any old ladies... but I have brewed a palisade pale ale using the hop for all three additions. It is a nice mellow flavor. I agree that it is more british than american. I agree with Claybeer above.

Non homebrewers who tasted it preferred the palisades pale over the centennial/cascade pale ales using the same malt bill and yeast probably because palisades aren't extreme in any sense.

I tried it side by side with amarillo and chinook single hop pale ale. It is very mellow by itself. Maybe slight fruit character, but nothing like a bright american hop.

I have a hoppy brown in primary using Palisades and Summit - Summit for bittering and then equal additions throughout the last half hour of the boil. First time using each of these so we'll see how it comes out.

I like to use them for bittering. It goes well with any style, German lagers, English ales or American ales.

I have used them as late additions with Simcoe and Summit in AIPAs and by themselves in porters.

I have a hoppy brown in primary using Palisades and Summit - Summit for bittering and then equal additions throughout the last half hour of the boil. First time using each of these so we'll see how it comes out.

So I checked gravity and did a taste test - WOW. Overwhelming floral (like orange blossoms) perfumey aroma and to a lesser extent flavor. Definite tangerine and sweet citrus taste. The bittering was pronounced and smooth but the taste and smell.... let's just say I hope it calms down a little. I was gonna dry hop this but I think I'll leave well enough alone. If it fades a little it'll taste great.

Brewed a batch of PSA IPA (Pints for Prostates) recently; Summit bittering hops, Palisade flavoring hops, and Ahtanum aroma hops; it's in the primary fermenter...smelled great!

My latest pale ale is a palisade/calypso. Smells good. The last one I did with this combo was very delicate. The palisade wasn't very noticeable. Heavy seas loose cannon uses some palisade and it is one o my favorite ipas.

I did an all-Palisade rye summer ale with Saison yeast at ale temps. It turned out good, but no one commented on the hop flavor. I detected some floral and very mild fruit flavors.
I think Palisade would pair beautifully with an American wheat, Belgian wit, or fruit ale.

markeroman said:
Brewed a batch of PSA IPA (Pints for Prostates) recently; Summit bittering hops, Palisade flavoring hops, and Ahtanum aroma hops; it's in the primary fermenter...smelled great!

Summit and Palisades are probably my favorite hops.. That sounds amazing. Like Ahtanum also

just finished puuting an American Wheat into the fermenter, used 100% Palisades. I will try to remember to report back in a month when i get the first taste.:mug:

Yeah came out good, used 4oz total, very similar to descripition, perfumey with faint fruit aroma, didnt notice any flavor from the hops, and this was a super simple recipe (50% us 2row, 50% wheat, US-05 yeast). So im not impreased with them as a standalone hop, may be better combo'd with something else.

Back