Naming Your Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all the time...especially since we try and keep all our names related to the bull

Longhop IPA
Fall Pasture Pumpkin Ale
Hard Apbull Cider
Star Buck'n Bull Stout
etc

really? i think that'd be fun!
8 second stout
blow it out your steer
longhorn lager
chocolate cow pie
seeing red-rye

Naming is fun. I name beers and it helps because people can say "Remember Double Tap? I really liked that beer." Instead of saying, "That double IPA that you made a year ago-You know the one that was really good? You should make that again."

I'm not really a beer namer. I usually just stick to the style and include whatever hops were used for bittering. So I would have a "Chinook IPA" or a "Falconer's Amber Ale." I think it's kind of cool that people do name their beers though, especially those who have a special recipe they came up with. If I ever get to that point and come up with a signature beer, I'll probably start naming. Just as others have said, it's easier to remember "Titan IPA" than "Hey, remember that IPA you brewed and had on tap back in September, that was good."

That being said though, my brewery has a name. Heiserbräu. Basically it was a given that was going to be the name considering every one who tasted it for the first time, without any prompting by me at all, said, "Awesome, my first Heiser brew." So, that one just seemed pretty simple. So I do have a little logo on the top of my tap handles, above, "IPA" or "Amber Ale"

If I create the recipie, I name it. Otherwise I just label it with it's style, date, and abv. I'm just starting my own recipies and have brewed 2, both worthy of naming. The Black Knight is a black IPA made with Warrior hops and is a nod to one of my favorite movies, Monty Python's Holy Grail. Crooked Stinger is a braggot made with 5 lb of honey, corriander, and orange peel. Others that I have in the works are Rusty Pail Ale and Brush Fire smoked irish red.

Back