Gushers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covered95

Reaction score
Ok so I did a search and couldn't find an answer to my problem. I bottled a molasses honey porter two weeks ago. I don't remember the final gravity but I did take readings on two consecutive days and there was no change so I figured it was time to bottle. I boiled 3/4 cup priming sugar (corn variety is that DME) in a pint of water. I added it to the bottling bucket and then syphoned in the beer to ensure good mixture of the sugar. I then bottled in 16oz flip top bottles. I have had two today (they are great!) but both have been gushers. I had a 12oz bottle last week and no gushing. They have been stored at 68 degrees for two weeks and then refrigerated for a few hours to get them to a drinkable temp (though not cold enough in my book). I have read that it is best to let them chill for several days so that the CO2 will absorb. Is this all I have to do here? How can I avoid the gushers? I am greatly concerned because everytime I open a pint I lose about 4oz of great beer. This is my first batch and I am thrilled at how good it is and want to drink as much as possible. Thanks for the input.

Could be several issues here. Molasses and honey can both take a long time to ferment. Although you had no gravity change over two days, you may still be getting a little fermentation from the honey and molasses. Secondly, it "might" be some sort of infection. Sanitation is key. Bottles, caps, cappers, anything that may come into contact with your brew must be sanitized. I would bet on ongoing fermentation however. Keeping them really cold will help some as well.

Back