Real Strong Alcohol Smell....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
hiya all, nice site i hope to learn some tricks and tips.

this is my first batch ever, i got a midwest irish stout kit with a plastic pail to ferment it in. i followed all the instructions, paying particular attention to the sanitation and the no rinse/one step sanitizer... i cooked up the grains/malt/hops in the kettle on the 26th of december, the yeast took right away, and after a week it stopped bubbling... the woman at the local brew supply shop said to go ahead and bottle it the 2 or 3 of january and not bother to transfer it to a secondary container.

i opened the pail to transfer to the pail with the spout to bottle it and it almost knocked me over! the smell was good, but very, very strong, like if you would inhale the vapors of rubbing alcohol or everclear...sorta burned my nostrils

as it's my first batch, i'm curious if this is par for the course or a result of a mishap somewhere?

thanks in advance for any replys

:)

t1master said:
hiya all, nice site i hope to learn some tricks and tips.

this is my first batch ever, i got a midwest irish stout kit with a plastic pail to ferment it in. i followed all the instructions, paying particular attention to the sanitation and the no rinse/one step sanitizer... i cooked up the grains/malt/hops in the kettle on the 26th of december, the yeast took right away, and after a week it stopped bubbling... the woman at the local brew supply shop said to go ahead and bottle it the 2 or 3 of january and not bother to transfer it to a secondary container.

i opened the pail to transfer to the pail with the spout to bottle it and it almost knocked me over! the smell was good, but very, very strong, like if you would inhale the vapors of rubbing alcohol or everclear...sorta burned my nostrils

as it's my first batch, i'm curious if this is par for the course or a result of a mishap somewhere?

thanks in advance for any replys

:)

That actually has happened with all 3 batches I've made...no problems!!!

i went ahead and bottled it last night and sipped some before i primed it... it tasted wonderful! i hope i can wait a few weeks :)

t1master said:
i went ahead and bottled it last night and sipped some before i primed it... it tasted wonderful! i hope i can wait a few weeks :)

Awesome! Actually, my brew has taken next to no time to carbonate in the bottles...like maybe 3 days. Of course, the flavor's a little "green" at that point, but it does get better over time....

If it tastes alright then it might have been just you inhaled a lot of co2 as you opened the fermenter. It can be quite atrong if you get a good lung full.

Strong alcahol smell and taste usually comes from fermenting too hot and doesnt go away.

Oops not sure how i ended up on such an old thread... oh well too late now LOL.

Last edited:
Back