Reducing the bitterness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
Ok, soon I will be brewing a Liberty Cream Ale from MidWest. I want to use this brew to lure some of my friends that drink BMC to micro brews. I was thinking about reducing the hopps some to help reduce the bitterness.
Does this sound like a good plan, or should I just find new friends? :)

You'll never be able to impress all of your friends at once. People have different taste. Just make it your way and if they don't like it, then it's MORE FOR YOU and they can still be drinking that BMC crap. You'll also know which friends really enjoy beer, as opposed to just drinking it for the effects.

Try adding half of the hops they suggest at 60 min, then put those in at 5-15 min left in the boil. Or just save them for the next batch. What's the recipe? BMC has very, very low, single digit IBUs, so try to shoot for around 8-12 in your recipe.

if Im doing a blonde for everyone to enjoy I keep it right around 12 IBUs, and everyone is happy

In my opinion, trying to brew something your BMC drinking friends and family will really like is impossible. Unless they really want to expand their horizons into tastier brews, it just won't happen. My dad likes Rolling Rock and told me that the aftertaste of my homebrew is like a punch in the face. He's talking about Cascade hops. I think the only way BMC drinkers convert is to force themselves into drinking things with a little more bite, which you eventually get used to.

Here are the ingredients; "Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 pounds of Gold malt extract, 1/2 pound of specialty grains, 2 ounces of US hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. American Ale Wyeast 1056 Smack Pack"
I think I'll reduce the hops by about a 3rd and see how it comes out.

you can reduce the bitterness, by moving all your bitter hops(60 min) to the last 20 min of the boil. you'll get a mellowed bitter.

you can also go FWH if you do all grain. takes alot of the edge off the bitterness and makes it really smooth.

but seriously, if you want a beer BMC drinkers will like do this very easy recipe

7 lbs golden promise
1/2 oz fuggle 60
1 oz fuggle 0

1056 wyeast

keep IBUs right at 12

Milds using Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Saaz or any noble hop go over well.

Bobby M - if Cascades wasn't a kick in the face, why would we use it so much in PWN? Not a good choice for BMC conversion, though.

Thanks for the additional ideas guys. I will have enough equipment to run two batches at once. One will be "light" for the BMC lovers, and the other will be something better. :)

Found this on BYO.com

Budweiser Clone
by Karl Glarner Jr.
This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5 gallons)

Ingredients:

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min., 0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

Cregar said:
Found this on BYO.com

Budweiser Clone
by Karl Glarner Jr.
This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5 gallons)

Ingredients:

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min., 0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

Thanks, I can do a batch of that and it will stay in the frig until the friends drink it up.

Latest posts

Back