Triple Cs IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
Slightly dry, with a smooth balance of hop bitterness, aroma and maltiness. First sip made me think it had an almost smokey taste to it. The IBUs are there, the aroma is there. This is definately a drier IPA for those of you that prefer the hops a little more than the malt.

DSC_7216.jpg

This might be too lit. Better color though

Amount Item
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
3.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Chinook [11.40%] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU

1.00 oz Cascade [7.50%] (30 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40%] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU

0.50 oz Centennial [8.30%] (15 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50%] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)

0.50 oz Chinook [11.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.30%] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU

1.00 oz Cascade [7.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [8.30%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

6 gal Water
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash the grains at 155 for an hour, then sparge. Add DME and bring to a boil. Add 60 min hop addition and continue to boil following hop additions. Ferment at 68 degrees for 7-10 days. Rack to secondary for 7-10 more days

View attachment recipes.xml

Its been brewed so far, I will update as it progresses (in the fermenter still)

The IBUs seem way low to me here. What was your boil volume? Can't figure out how else they could be so low.

The IBUs seem way low to me here. What was your boil volume? Can't figure out how else they could be so low.

3. Actually ended up being like 4.2 or something like that. IBUs might be higher on mine. I calc'd it at 3 though

I opened the fermenter this afternoon (didnt get time this weekend, so its been 9 days since pitching), took a gravity reading: 1.008!!!! 8.2% ABV is what i calculated.

This beer dried up hardcore. I wasn't afraid though, so i drank up the theif'd portion of it.

WOW!.

This beer has wonderful hop character, and the sweetness isn't as powerful as I was thinking it might. It is the driest beer I've made to date (not counting apfelwein). However, it doesnt taste like other dry IPAs I have had. It still has a warm nuttiness to it, and still tastes mildly sweet.

I don't know if I have had a commercial beer that tastes quite like it, but pine and citrus stand out heavily. Also, the IBUs tasted much higher than my 3-gallon boil calculation said it would be (I also did about a 4.2 gallon boil). But the sweetness, bitterness, and aroma are all there pronounced (despite the drieness of it).

I decided to rack it into a secondary because the hops and yeast had combined to make a horrifyingly disgusting goop which was still cycling around the fermenter. I will check the gravity again on Sunday and possibly bottle next Tuesday if it is leveled out.

This beer is wonderful. I am afraid to know what my smaller boil would end up tasting like. I will have to split the batch next time too!!

Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook matched up with a solid malt backbone. It looks similar to Sierra Nevada Celebration. This beer is going to rock.

Your post gave me a lot of confidence when I brewed it!

I bottled it tonight. Gave it 10 days in primary, 7 in secondary. Looks mighty clear, and it is mighty tasty. Cant wait to try it bubbly and cold!

Some of that hoppiness will subside fairly quickly. I'm wondering if there will be enough bitterness considering all the malt in it. But hey, that's the beauty of beer: if you goof up one style (and I'm not saying you did, I'm just saying 'if'), then it becomes another style!

I put a bottle in the fridge yesterday in anticipation of trying it tonight.

It will be 2 weeks in the bottle tomorrow. We had a hot period, so I was worried about the beer getting took hot (75-80ish)

I poured it into a standard pint glass. Nice off-white creamy looking head. The malt and hops dance in a subtle way in the smell. I really really enjoy it. I love the way the centennial made this beer smell.

The taste is great. It wasn't under-bittered as I was expecting, in fact it has a bit of a bite to it! I would almost say this beer might need to age for a little bit for some of that maltiness to come out. The hops arent too overpowering, in fact I would call it good for my tastes as it sits in the glass right now, this is 2 weeks in and I am calling it drinkable. The co2 is great, the body didnt suffer despite dying out as it did. I am calling this brew a winner. I need to get another batch going so I dont run out!

I have been looking for a IPA to make since I had my first one about a month and a half ago. Looking through the recipes this one caught my eye. It is bubbleing away as I type this (started lastnight). Tasted great going into the fermenter. Can't wait till it's done. Only a few minor things I did differently.

First I planed on leaveing some of the extrat out for the last 15 min. Think it was 1 1/2 pounds. Next I messed up on my boil volume. It ended up just shy of 5 gal. so it was a good thing I left some extract out it might not have fit lol. So my IBUs might be a bit more then what you have. My OG was 1.062. Missed my mark of 1.067 but it's close. For yeast I went withUS 05 because of the issues with nottingham and my LHBS only had the recalled batch.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out but I have a feeling that I will love this beer. Thanks for posting it!

I have been looking for a IPA to make since I had my first one about a month and a half ago. Looking through the recipes this one caught my eye. It is bubbleing away as I type this (started lastnight). Tasted great going into the fermenter. Can't wait till it's done. Only a few minor things I did differently.

First I planed on leaveing some of the extrat out for the last 15 min. Think it was 1 1/2 pounds. Next I messed up on my boil volume. It ended up just shy of 5 gal. so it was a good thing I left some extract out it might not have fit lol. So my IBUs might be a bit more then what you have. My OG was 1.062. Missed my mark of 1.067 but it's close. For yeast I went withUS 05 because of the issues with nottingham and my LHBS only had the recalled batch.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out but I have a feeling that I will love this beer. Thanks for posting it!

Im glad I could make one that interested you! Let me know how it goes with the US 05. The nottingham dried it up a lot more than i expected (older packet). It tastes pretty good. After I let it condition for a few more weeks I might adjust the recipe slightly. Perhaps just try a different yeast, so I am interested in how yours comes out.

Thanks for brewing it!!

Hey just an update. I just got done moveing it to the secondary. I was going to let to set another week but I got a bit impatient. Also i'm about 2 beers from being dry :eek:. FG is 1.014. The hydro sample was awesome. Lots of hops flavor and some sweetness then bitter at the end. I can't wait for it to get done.

Hey just an update. I just got done moveing it to the secondary. I was going to let to set another week but I got a bit impatient. Also i'm about 2 beers from being dry :eek:. FG is 1.014. The hydro sample was awesome. Lots of hops flavor and some sweetness then bitter at the end. I can't wait for it to get done.

Your post inspired me to have my second bottle of this stuff. It is tasting might good. My only complaint so far is that the color is a little bland looking. in between red and gold.

When can this thread go back into the recipe database?

Well it has been in the keg for a week now. This is without a doubt the best beer I have made to date. For me this beer has it all. Lots of hop aroma and flavor, and a good blance of malt and bitterness. This is a awsome recipe and I will be brewing this again in the comeing weeks so I don't run out too soon :D Thanks again tspilker for posting it :tank:

Well it has been in the keg for a week now. This is without a doubt the best beer I have made to date. For me this beer has it all. Lots of hop aroma and flavor, and a good blance of malt and bitterness. This is a awsome recipe and I will be brewing this again in the comeing weeks so I don't run out too soon :D Thanks again tspilker for posting it :tank:

How is it holding up for you? i keep liking this beer more and more

How is it holding up? heh it's gone. It was a very satisfying beer. It had meny complements. Even from someone who doesn't care for beer. It aged out well but I also enjoyed drinking it young too. I haven't been able to get back to the brew store lately (maybe tomarrow) to make more.
I wonder how a FWH would work for this. I never done that before. Would it work for a PM or does it have to be a all grain? If anyone has some input that would be great.

I still have several bottles of this left, and I feel bad each time I drink one because I know it will be gone soon :(

Man, it's tasty.

Didn't clear up though, I even used the irish moss... hmmm

Back