Bottling bucket as primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it's clean, and able to release CO2 out of the bucket, you should not have a problem.

I don't think there is any immediate or dangerous harm but I wouldn't suggest this. Mostly becuase you have the yeast cake which will get all caught up in the spigot and might be a pain to clean.

The only problem is you won't have a bottling bucket available when its time to bottle your beer. Consider buying another carboy - or consider just using a longer primary time and skip the secondary.

I have 4 ale pails: two have a spigot, and two don't. As long as I have an empty one with a spigot come bottling time, all is good. Just make sure you wash it good, and that the tap is closed when you fill it!

I have 4 ale pails: two have a spigot, and two don't. As long as I have an empty one with a spigot come bottling time, all is good. Just make sure you wash it good, and that the tap is closed when you fill it!

Me too. 2 with, 2 without.........And yes, I've left the spigot open too. :(

Back