Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory11

Reaction score
Be been wanting to make some mead and i was wondering if the yeast I have laying around is good for mead. It's red star Montrachet. Just looking to do a one gallon batch.

Be been wanting to make some mead and i was wondering if the yeast I have laying around is good for mead. It's red star Montrachet. Just looking to do a one gallon batch.

Montrachet is OK as long as the mead you are doing is under 12% or you want it sweet since that's about the ABV limit for that strain. Also, it needs a LOT of yeast nutrients, and it tends to produce sulfur (yuk) so a good splash racking and/or vigorous stirring is required after fermentation so you don't get off flavors.

My favorite yeast for melomels and metheglins is 71B-1122 and KV-1116 or DV10 for traditional meads.

Hmmm. Looks like I will be better off going to get other yeast. Thanks for the info!

For mead, I go with Lalvin strains every time... Get great results every time too... Just pick the yeast that will give you what you want (ABV tolerance, nutrient level, etc.) and go from there.

Do yourself a HUGE favor... Read the forums on the Got Mead? site for information on how to make mead, how to treat it early on, and when to do what comes after fermentation. Also, be PATIENT with it. Don't expect it to be done before many months have passed. Even a low OG/ABV mead will be better after 18-24 months than it is at 6-9 months. Age in bulk for as long as you can before bottling. If that means you need to get more fermenters for other things, then do it.

I have two 14% ABV meads in process still that I started in early December (2011). I don't expect to bottle them for several more months. Maybe in November/December of this year. I have another going to 21% that won't be bottled until 18-24 months in (started within a few days of the other batches).

1118 for dry/high gravity, D47 for sweet. Yeah, I'm a lavlin fanboy.

Now if you're doing something like JAOM or thereabouts, you'll probably have enough noms from the raisins and oranges to keep it zipping along happily enough. Maybe boil some bread yeast and add it in just to be safe. your mileage may vary.

Yea, I was probably going to use it with the JAOM recipe. Might do two. One exactly how the recipe is and one with my yeast.

Back