Northern Michigan/UP microbrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This summer, when I go to visit my brother in Mackinaw City, I was thinking about visiting some microbreweries in Northern Lower Mich, and eastern UP. What are some of the places I must go to? I think there was one just off 75 in Gaylord I think it was called Bucks, looked like a brewpub, but never got around to seeing it.

Might be a little farther north than you're planning on going, but if you make it to Marquette, stop in at the Vierling. I hit that place a few times whenever I'm up there for work. Great beers, great fish dishes, and their french onion soup is awesome.

The best brewpub I've ever been to is Short's. It's way out of your way in Bellaire. http://www.shortsbrewing.com/

Another great one is in Traverse City (again way out of your way, unless you're coming from the west): http://www.rightbrainbrewery.com/

Otherwise, that's about it. The UP is a vast beer wasteland, as is Northern Michigan.

There IS a great place in Marquette, as SilentAutumn mentioned. The brewer is on this forum actually, and is a very cool guy. But it's about a 3 hour drive from Mackinaw City.

It seems everywhere in the UP pushes Keweenaw Brewing Company beers (even Applebee's and the Holiday Inn in Marquette have them on tap). I've never been to their brew pub, but I've had their beers on tap at a few bars/restaurants. I don't know, their beers just don't do it for me. But hey, to each their own. They're way up in Houghton.

It seems everywhere in the UP pushes Keweenaw Brewing Company beers (even Applebee's and the Holiday Inn in Marquette have them on tap). I've never been to their brew pub, but I've had their beers on tap at a few bars/restaurants. I don't know, their beers just don't do it for me. But hey, to each their own. They're way up in Houghton.

The Keweenaw Brewing Company beers suck. Badly. They have some success (it's a college town) but the beers are all the same, just "colored" differently. They are terrible beers, and not worth the can they are packaged in. I know one of the members of this forum has worked there, and doesn't share my aversion to them, but he definitely understands what I mean! :D

Almost next door, though, is the Library. They have two beers that are very good. They don't bottle their beers, so you can only get them at the brewpub.

Lower Michigan has some terrific beer- Founder's, Bell's, Short's, Dark Horse, but they tend to not even be distributed up here.

The Keweenaw Brewing Company beers suck. Badly. They have some success (it's a college town) but the beers are all the same, just "colored" differently. They are terrible beers, and not worth the can they are packaged in.
Yup I agree. KBC beer does suck. Their darker beers are better than their light ales, but they are still pretty bad. The tap room is a great atmosphere though.

Almost next door, though, is the Library. They have two beers that are very good. They don't bottle their beers, so you can only get them at the brewpub
I've been there but haven't had beer, as I had to drive. They are on my list to go back and check out.

Red Jacket Brewing Company, part of the Michigan House in Calumet, makes great beers. I'm personal friends with the brewmaster there.

Calumet, makes great beers. I'm personal friends with the brewmaster there.

Yeah, but the last two or three times I've been there, he's been out of beer!

Last fall, we took a ride up there on a Friday, and the whole place was closed for a couple of weeks.

Tim (is that his name? I can't remember) was a heck of a nice guy when I met him, but I think he's got a very small system and the only beer I remember was an oatmeal stout.

Thanks, I'll have to make some detours and check some of the places out, I really enjoys Bells Third Coast, Two Hearted, and Oberon, but unfortunately are nowhere to be found in NYS(same thing goes for pasties). When I get more advanced in homebrewing, I'll have to clone some Bells stuff. Founders has good stuff, as some friends of mine from Calvin College in Grand Rapids brought some home. There is also some Leinenkugels that I enjoy(specifically Northwoods, Big Eddy, and Red Lager is very rare in NY), that arent available in NY as well, so you can imagine how much beer I bring home each time I visit!

When they get slammed they get slammed.

Last fall, we took a ride up there on a Friday, and the whole place was closed for a couple of weeks.
Their daughter was in a near-fatal accident downstate, so they shut the place down to be with her.

Tim (is that his name? I can't remember) was a heck of a nice guy when I met him, but I think he's got a very small system and the only beer I remember was an oatmeal stout.
Yes, Tim and Sue. Brian is the brewmaster. They use a 15 gallon Sabco system. They brew a half barrel at a time and have 3.5 barrel serving vessels. They close on Wednesdays and brew the beer weekly every Wednesday. The cooks brew the beer and the operation is overseen by Brian, the brewmaster.

I've all but given up finding anything aside from Founders and Bell's in bottles on my visits to MI but the variety of these one finds in MI is a slight consolation. The brewpubs up north have also been consistently mediocre at best but I'm sure I haven't been to all of them. I had to google where in NY that place is (was going to recommend some places to find Founders if you were near me at all) but I'm assuming you're driving since you're that close and you'll pass almost right through Frankenmuth just north of Flint. There's a few brewpubs there and if you like german food you'll be in heaven.

TC has Right Brain (although the quality has gone downhill from what I've heard, since they let their brewmaster, John, go last summer), and North Peak, Mackinaw Brewing Company, Shorts in Bellaire (never been, but has been getting great reviews), and Jolly Pumpkin on the GT penninsula.

Taq brewing is not bad, but when I went there the beer was just ok. I only had one or two. The food was very good though.

Most places that brew beer have pretty good food, even if the beer is not that spectacular. And usually the beer is at least decent, if not great.

If you get up to da UP, pass on Keewenaw and head to the Library. Very nice place! (And the name is so cool, cause kids can tell their folks their are heading off to the library, when they are really going out for beers!)

We also stopped at Jasper Ridge and thought it was a very nice little place. Good food and really pretty good beer.

They upgraded their system and have 3 beers now as I recall. I share the same frustration though, since I've made the (short) drive up there only to find they were closed, or were out of their own brews. Hopefully their new system helps them keep up with demand with the added capacity.

Oh, and I agree that if you're in Houghton, you must stop in the Library Pub and get a sampler. We are a long way from the Mac bridge, though.

Another good place to stop for good beer in the U.P. is my house. ;)

TB

Another good place to stop for good beer in the U.P. is my house. ;)

TB

Oh, yeah, my house and cottage have good beer too- We're always open for visitors.

I'm about 5 hours west of the Mackinacac Bridge, so we don't many visitors though.

Aside from the Vierling in Marquette, I would say that I've never had consistently good beers in the whole UP. But each time we go into the Vierling, the beer is good, the food is good, and he must have at least 8 beers on tap.

Yes, Tim and Sue. Brian is the brewmaster. They use a 15 gallon Sabco system. They brew a half barrel at a time and have 3.5 barrel serving vessels. They close on Wednesdays and brew the beer weekly every Wednesday. The cooks brew the beer and the operation is overseen by Brian, the brewmaster.

A friend of mine, and member of our brew club, brewed one of his own recipes on Tim's system, and said that they had upgraded from their old Sabco system to one with higher capacity. Have you heard anything about that yet?

A friend of mine, and member of our brew club, brewed one of his own recipes on Tim's system, and said that they had upgraded from their old Sabco system to one with higher capacity. Have you heard anything about that yet?
They haven't upgraded. Still the same 15 gallon Sabco system and brewing only on Wednesdays when the cafe is closed. I see Brian (the brewmaster) just about every other day. We were talking last week about brewing systems and stated the only system RJBC has is the 15gal Sabco. I'll ask again for confirmation when I see him this afternoon.

They haven't upgraded. Still the same 15 gallon Sabco system and brewing only on Wednesdays when the cafe is closed. I see Brian (the brewmaster) just about every other day. We were talking last week about brewing systems and stated the only system RJBC has is the 15gal Sabco. I'll ask again for confirmation when I see him this afternoon.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like you live in the area. Have you thought about joining the local brew club?

I saw some sort of club thing (Kraeuseners?) at the Keweenaw Co-op on the wall but didn't pursue it.

I've all but given up finding anything aside from Founders and Bell's in bottles on my visits to MI but the variety of these one finds in MI is a slight consolation. The brewpubs up north have also been consistently mediocre at best but I'm sure I haven't been to all of them. I had to google where in NY that place is (was going to recommend some places to find Founders if you were near me at all) but I'm assuming you're driving since you're that close and you'll pass almost right through Frankenmuth just north of Flint. There's a few brewpubs there and if you like german food you'll be in heaven.

Never been to Frankenmuth, but may have to swing by on the way out especially since German food is the best! I usually cut through Ontario and cross into Mi at Sarnia. Although If I can get some of my riding buddies to go and ride the bikes, we'd take the scenic route and go up and around, and cross at the Soo. I definately have to make some detours then its sounding like.

Dome555, where in NY do you find Founders? I haul equipment for a living and am all over NYS. Luckily a few friends are on spring break, and brought some Oberon home for me:mug:

Never been to Frankenmuth, but may have to swing by on the way out especially since German food is the best! I usually cut through Ontario and cross into Mi at Sarnia. Although If I can get some of my riding buddies to go and ride the bikes, we'd take the scenic route and go up and around, and cross at the Soo. I definately have to make some detours then its sounding like.

Dome555, where in NY do you find Founders? I haul equipment for a living and am all over NYS. Luckily a few friends are on spring break, and brought some Oberon home for me:mug:

Oberon doesn't come out until March 28th??

I always make a trip to Shorts; the best in Northern Michigan. I also am fond of Right Brain in Traverse City.

A new Brewery should be open in the Sault; Soo Brewing Company. They are on Facebook right now

Short's is definitley the best in Northern MI. Love the Bellaire Brown.

Big Buck in Gaylord is usually great too although I haven't been there in a while. I recommend the Beer Cheese soup washed down with thier Antler Ale if you stop there.

I was in Grand Marais a couple of years ago and stopped at Lake Superior Brewing Co. Great old time Yooper bar that brews their own beer. I drank a lot of thier Brown Ale the week I was there. Great burgers too.

mug:

Whatever you decide, make sure you keep heading on west I69 to west I96 over to Grand Rapids. Go to Founders.....and plan on staying a day or two and also hit up Hop Cat, Schmohz, The Hideout, Brewery Vivant, Grand Rapids Brewery and B.O.B.'s Brewery. When you've recovered, head north to all of those mentioned in Traverse City then onward to Short's. The trip of a lifetime!!

I always make a trip to Shorts; the best in Northern Michigan. I also am fond of Right Brain in Traverse City.

A new Brewery should be open in the Sault; Soo Brewing Company. They are on Facebook right now

The guy who owns the Soo Brewing Company comes off as a real jack ass. I've checked out that page and he is so condescending to people who ask questions. Plus, there isn't going to be any food or tvs at the bar. I love microbrew as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to sit in a bar owned by an ass-hat that offers me four beers to choose from without any food or tvs. I'll walk next door and have a Bell's on tap in a much better atmosphere at Maloney's.

That's the one.
I'm not into memberships or fraternal organizations. Also, Brian confirmed a 15 gallon Sabco with 3.5bbl serving tanks.

:off: do they have bulk grain there? I've never asked when I'm in there and looking to switch to AG

Yes, they do. They will order almost anything you want. Prices are decent if you're a member, too.

TB
They don't stock bulk grain over 1lb bags but like Tiber_Brew said, they will order it. If they have to order, I might as well order it myself is my thought. I order from MoreBeer! or Northern Brewer.

Short's is definitley the best in Northern MI. Love the Bellaire Brown.

Big Buck in Gaylord is usually great too although I haven't been there in a while. I recommend the Beer Cheese soup washed down with thier Antler Ale if you stop there.

I was in Grand Marais a couple of years ago and stopped at Lake Superior Brewing Co. Great old time Yooper bar that brews their own beer. I drank a lot of thier Brown Ale the week I was there. Great burgers too.

I'm going to have to check that place out when we go up north again!

I'm not into memberships or fraternal organizations.
Haha, it is pretty far from "fraternal," in fact, there isn't much of a membership either. You get put on a mailing list to find out where the next meeting will take place, at which a bunch of homebrew is shared. But, whatever, it's cool if you don't want to join.

Also, Brian confirmed a 15 gallon Sabco with 3.5bbl serving tanks.
Then it must have been the 3.5bbl guys that are new. All I know, is that my friend brewed at the MI House and he said that they upgraded and have more capacity.

They don't stock bulk grain over 1lb bags but like Tiber_Brew said, they will order it. If they have to order, I might as well order it myself is my thought. I order from MoreBeer! or Northern Brewer.
First off, yes they do stock more than just 1 lb bags. You can find a couple varieties of base malt in 10lb bags there, if someone hasn't snatched it up first. They don't have a lot of shelf space, so inventory goes quick. However, like I mentioned, they will order a 50 (or 55) lb bag of whatever malts their carrier has. If you are a member of the co-op, it is cheaper than ordering from Northern Brewer because of the shipping. If you can get a few people to buy at once and get enough for a pallet, it's even cheaper yet.

You can also get bulk honey in 60lb buckets if you make mead, too. :)

TB

Lower Michigan has some terrific beer- Founder's, Bell's, Short's, Dark Horse, but they tend to not even be distributed up here.

About 10 years ago, I went camping at Pictured Rocks. Weather got really, really bad, so we went to Grand Marais for a night. Hit a local bar and they had Bell's on tap! I was pleasantly shocked. Hotel we stayed at also had half a fifth of rot got vodka in one of the drawers... that's how the UP rolls.

Oberon doesn't come out until March 28th??

A lot of places stock up on it now. I've found cases upon cases of it at World Market in the middle of winter in recent years. I used to buy a case at the end of the season (before Blue Moon existed) and squirrel it away in the back of my closet then break it out in the winter and be the hero of the party. Now anyone can be the hero.

I was trying to be a bit diplomatic, but as others have blatantly put it, Keweenaw beers suck.

But back to topic, here's a list of Michigan microbreweries. I forgot about Bilbo's in Kalamazoo. Dragon Red with an order of Hobbit Sticks and dill sauce = amazing. Skip Michigan Brewing in Webberville. Beer isn't worth mentioning and their restaurant is horrible - food and service.

Then it must have been the 3.5bbl guys that are new. All I know, is that my friend brewed at the MI House and he said that they upgraded and have more capacity.
I'm thinking he was talking about the serving vessels.

First off, yes they do stock more than just 1 lb bags. You can find a couple varieties of base malt in 10lb bags there, if someone hasn't snatched it up first. They don't have a lot of shelf space, so inventory goes quick. However, like I mentioned, they will order a 50 (or 55) lb bag of whatever malts their carrier has. If you are a member of the co-op, it is cheaper than ordering from Northern Brewer because of the shipping. If you can get a few people to buy at once and get enough for a pallet, it's even cheaper yet.

You can also get bulk honey in 60lb buckets if you make mead, too. :)

TB
I must be missing the shipments as all I've seen there are the 1lb bags on the small side rack near the hops. Last week when I was there they must have gotten something in because the kits and equipment was well stocked.

The best brewpub I've ever been to is Short's. It's way out of your way in Bellaire. http://www.shortsbrewing.com/

Another great one is in Traverse City (again way out of your way, unless you're coming from the west): http://www.rightbrainbrewery.com/

Otherwise, that's about it. The UP is a vast beer wasteland, as is Northern Michigan.

There IS a great place in Marquette, as SilentAutumn mentioned. The brewer is on this forum actually, and is a very cool guy. But it's about a 3 hour drive from Mackinaw City.

+1. I HIGHLY recommend visiting Short's brew pub in Bellaire. It's a small town, very friendly, and the beer is fantastic. I remember their Huma-Luma-Licious IPA being hoppy as hell :rockin:!

Also, Torch Lake is about a mile or two from the town and it is wonderful. You should definitely stop by the public access to check it out. My family has a cottage on the lake and we try to visit every summer. Probably the clearest water you will ever see.

I must be missing the shipments as all I've seen there are the 1lb bags on the small side rack near the hops. Last week when I was there they must have gotten something in because the kits and equipment was well stocked.

They are usually on the bottom shelf, all the way to the left. I haven't looked lately, but I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm there and see if they still stock the 10 pounders.

I believe there is still a small brewpub/restaurant at Taquamenon state park.

They had some killer blueberry ale a couple of years ago.....well worth the stop.:mug:

Sullivan's Black Forest in Frankenmuth has some a some interesting beers. They have a sample tray of beer that will convince you into staying the night if you finish all 8 kinds.

The guy who owns the Soo Brewing Company comes off as a real jack ass. I've checked out that page and he is so condescending to people who ask questions. Plus, there isn't going to be any food or tvs at the bar. I love microbrew as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to sit in a bar owned by an ass-hat that offers me four beers to choose from without any food or tvs. I'll walk next door and have a Bell's on tap in a much better atmosphere at Maloney's.

Yeah I was one of those that he went off on. Seems like a real prick. I was so excited at first that the Soo was finally getting a micro brewery. After finding out his business plan I seriously think it is going to be a massive failure. I just wish I had the motivation/capital to open my own brewery.

Back