Wow, 24 hour ferment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Not really, but my fastest to date. Brewed Friday, pitched wlp051 with a starter in the afternoon. Saturday morning it was nearing blowoff stage, that has never happened to me that fast. By Saturday night the krausen was falling! This morning it's almost completely fallen, not a big beer .046, but still something I have never seen in 4 years of brewing.:mug:

DSCN3055.jpg

DSCN3058.jpg

What did you different? Did you use any yeast nutrients?

I had a customer call in and he was concerned. He made another batch of peach wine like he always does. This time he added something called yeast nutrient. The batch finished in 2 days. His wife told him that something must be wrong and that he should dump the batch and start over. He was about to dump it when he called to find out what he did wrong..

Forrest

What did you different? Did you use any yeast nutrients?

I had a customer call in and he was concerned. He made another batch of peach wine like he always does. This time he added something called yeast nutrient. The batch finished in 2 days. His wife told him that something must be wrong and that he should dump the batch and start over. He was about to dump it when he called to find out what he did wrong..

Forrest

Actually, I ordered yeast nutrient (from you) and forgot to put it in the boil.:eek:

Same routine as always, although on a new system. I can't hardly believe that would be it.

Maybe the yeast saw the nutrient package in the mail and got all excited and pumped up :)

The same thing happened to me with my stout this weekend: krausen at 8:00 am yesterday, high krausen and almost blow off in the evening and today everything is starting to fall down and "crack". My wort had a lot of proteins due to almost 20% flaked barley, so this might be the reason.

I have had a stout finish in abot 40 hours. I just figured the temp in the house was a little higher than normal. It turned out great

I've had batches that finish in about two days. It doesn't really matter how long it takes for them to finish as long as you hit your numbers in the end. Maybe the more experienced tasters will say it has a lot to do with taste and mouth feel but it certainly won't mean you need to throw it out and start over.

so is there a theory that yeast nutrient will accelerate things that much? i used for the first time in a stout, which also turned out to be my first blowoff. it had about a day and a half or two day lag, but when it went off it went crazy. it looks like krausen has fallen, and its only been about a week total. i thought it was too early to even think about racking, but maybe i'll take a hydro tonight and let it sit in the keg to condition. i usually let it sit and primary 3-4 weeks, but i am in a little bit of a hurry to get the pipeline not dry again before a trip in a few weeks.

so is there a theory that yeast nutrient will accelerate things that much?

I doubt it, I didn't use it in this batch. Probably more of just a good starter in a lower alcohol batch. However, one thing did slip my mind, I cold pitched my starter this time, which I haven't done in the past.

It's almost carbed now and taste's very good.:mug:

I can not stop looking at your avatar.

Me either. Unfortunately the one on the right's blond hair just above her ear bugs me. A quick glimpse has me thinking trailer trash. Second look makes me wonder if it is a wig or poor dye job. After that I take a look back and enjoy the whole picture. :mug:

Back