A few extras laying around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I found some old ingrediants today, stuff about 6 months old. I am brewing a few things tomorrow and thought I might be able to do a third maybe smaller batch just to use it up.

3lbs Pilsen Light Extract (dry)
2oz Kent Goldings
Safale S-04

I know I am missing about 1/2 of needed extract to make a 5 gallon batch, but what if I used all this in a 2 1/2 gallon batch? And the hops are pellet form sealed do you guys think I can still use them 6-7 months old?

Thanks!

I'm guessing a 2.5 gallon batch would give you a 4.8% or so ABV, and be kind of an English Pale though it might be pretty bland without any specialty grain like crystal, etc. And 2 oz. of KG would be overkill. 1 oz is plenty, half at 45 or 60 and half at 15 or so. But I'm only guessing, the The Beer Recipator - Home would give you an idea of what you'd be looking at.

I ended up not using any of it, I went ahead and just did a partial mash Pumpkin ale and some hard cider. I will use the malt in another batch and toss the hops to be safe, just figured I could toss something silly for fun together. But it was cold as hell yesterday and I had enough to do! Thanks for the input though! :mug:

I had a couple pounds left from a previous brew and I just tossed it in the next one... of coarse that next one was a wee-heavy ale clone.

I collect unused ingredients and when I get enough for a 5 gallon batch I brew a batch of "Riccetti's Best". No telling how it will taste (usually not great), but it is usually 6.5+ percent ABV. :D

As my brewing skills improve, the Riccetti's Best improves as well. Some would say if you can't make great beer, don't bother. But, I cannot stand to throw away anything and I enjoy the hodge podge experience every now and then.

Brew on!

Dan

Back