Pouring in Priming sugar in and giving a good stir, good enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrictlyIPAs

Reaction score
I would like to bottle right out of my primary fermenter that has a spigot on it.

Of course, I'll hook up a bottling wand to the spigot to reduce oxidation.

But I was wondering if I make a priming sugar solution and pour it into the top of the bucket with a few good stirs, if that is sufficient in terms of spreading it around evenly.

Thanks!

I don't see how that could work without getting extremely yeasty and cloudy beer. If you stir the primary, all the trub on the bottom is going to go into solution and then into your bottles.

all your patience of letting the beer settle and clear will be wasted the moment you kick up the trub and yeast to mix the sugar in, and you will have a ton of goop in the bottom of the bottles as well, that is if you got consistent carbonation to begin with, without oxygentating the beer.....GO GET A BOTTLING BUCKET, or go to a hardware store and get a paint bucket, and a camping spigot and make one of your own...It will cost you 7 bucks from a hardware store...

You don't necessarily even need a spigot do do it right, but it would make things much easier. Just to re-enforce what the others are saying: Don't stir up the primary!

If you get a bucket without a spigot, sanitize well, and add some boiled sugar water to it, then gently pour beer on top of it before bottling.

If you mix up the beer in the primary, you will end up with very nasty-looking beer. You want as much of the trub left behind as possible.

Back