When do I add maltodextrin? I think i missed the boat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhead

Reaction score
So i thought that maltodextrin was some type of bottling / conditioning sugar. Looks like i was wrong. When was I supposed to add it? During the boil?

I didn't add it, and I guess was supposed to. Should i add it to the secondary now??? Is there any way to fix this one? Or am I better off to just let it be and see what happens?

The beer is a CA Steam lager and has been in primary for 1.5 weeks.

Thanks again

No - I'm talking about adding maltodextrin. I thought it was conditioning sugar, but I THINK it isn't. I do not believe that it is fermentable.

The recipe called for it. Can I add it now to the secondary to fix the problem or am I screwed?

Don't bother now. It adds a bit of flavor and body but nothing else. The beer might not be quite what you're looking for and a tad thinner but it will fine. Relax, don't worry, yada, yada.

EDIT: Yes, it goes in for the boil.

MD is a non-fermentable sugar that adds body & mouthfeel. As such, you can add it any time up to & including bottling.

I'd boil it in a pint of water, cool, dump it in the secondary, and rack on top of it.

Yeah, that is why I'd add it to secondary, just to keep the priming sugar calculation a little simpler (though it wouldn't be that complicated).

It's not fermentable enough to throw off your priming sugar calculations. I usually add some to the priming sugar if the beer is too thin.

call me crazy but if it is only marginally fermentable, in the 32 ppg range, why does beersmith not account for a gravity increase? it appears a pound in 5 gallons will yield like 5 points..

Because gravity IS affected by it. It will give you a higher starting gravity, but much of those gravity points wont be fermentable meaning you will have a higher final gravity as well.

Back