Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullwinkle

Reaction score
I'm new here. Also brewing my first batch from a Cooper's kit my kids gave me. A lager. It's been in the fermenter for a week now. SG reading this afternoon was just a little above 1.010, so I'm gonna let it go for another day or two. Tasted it though and it was not as good as it was when the wort went into the fermenter. A little cidery, but the Cooper's recipe also included 1 kg of sugar. Is that the cause? Will letting it sit longer improve it? help!!!

what temperature did it ferment at? Is it a true lager (lager yeast) or a lager style ale (ale yeast)?

It's fermenting at about 74 F (room temp in the extra bedroom). As far as the yeat goes, I don't know - it was just a packet of dry yeast that came with the kit.

True Lager beers ferment in the 50's, so my guess is it was an Ale yeast. As for the cider taste, let the yeasts clean up after themselves. One week is way too soon to be tasting your beer. The flavor comes from Acetylaldehyde, which the yeast should convert to alcohol with time.

If it was mine, I would leave it in the fermenter for another two full weeks at least. I never go less than three weeks in the primary. I normally go right to bottling after three or four weeks. Patience!

Back